Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day    

Word of the Day

franknbea
United Kingdom

Word of the Day

Hello and Good Morning to All!
Word of the Day is about to change.
From today the answer deemed to be the funniest definition (by the moderator), that member will be invited to provide the next day �s word and pick a successor. If the the person refuses then the same one continues the following day and repeats the process. I hope that this is clear and everyone can have a turn and we all have a bit of fun with obscure English words.

So this is my last word (for now): Yclept
as always all guesses are welcome and remember no dictionary definitions please.
the "winner" will not be the correct definition but the one deemed to be the funniest.
Have fun!

20 Sep 2010      

douglas
United States

clept as in cleptomaniac--Yclept, someone that steals Ys

20 Sep 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

That �ll be a knicker nicker then, Douglas. Ho ho.

20 Sep 2010     

mariannina
Italy

Funny idea Frank but, I �m sorry, I �m not in because I don �t visit the site every day and I don �t want to interrupt the game.
Thank you and have fun.
Granny

20 Sep 2010     

Apodo
Australia

It �s what happened to the sun when the shadow of the earth passed over it.

20 Sep 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

Yclept=wisened by life.
"Y" is the unknown (remember math?)
"clept" is of course, as Douglas pointed out, the basis of the word cleptomaniac.
So Yclept is an adjective describing a person, often too young, who has no unkowns left , his unknowns were stolen, figuratively speaking. This would be used to describe the sad state of those who, before their time, realized that the tooth fairy doesn �t exist, even Mickey and Minnie Mouse have their differences and you don �t lose weight by eating diet food, you lose weight by not eating any food.
 "She was saddened looking into the yclept boy�s  eyes, whose sparkle had long gone"

20 Sep 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

�Yclept� is the Third Person Singular, Masculine form, of the Past Simple Tense of the Celtic verb, �clappen� � �to smite both hands together, so as to keep them warm�.

It is a strong verb, with Germanic roots, and takes the form �clap; clep; clup�.

It was first recorded by the Welsh aristocrat, Lloyd Ap Plaws, in his historical novel, �Eng-land shall never be konkered�, dated 1065.

In the depths of winter, a Welsh family is freezing to death.  A musically gifted child remarks to his mother: �Mamm, Wye is me Dadd clappen?�  The mother replies: �Yclept, coz ee doesn�t want to die, Bach!�

Les Douglas

20 Sep 2010