Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > "Word of the Day"    

"Word of the Day"

moravc
Czech Republic

"Word of the Day"

I am excited! I won the game!!!

so:
Today �s Word of the Day is:

cockalorum

All funny guesses welcomed :-D
no dictionary definitions, please...

24 Sep 2010      

David Lisgo
Japan

It is when all the roosters get together to have a meeting.

cock: rooster
al: all
orum: quorum

24 Sep 2010     

Mar0919
Mexico

When you see a cockroach and you RUM (run) ???? LOL!!!

24 Sep 2010     

Apodo
Australia

It �s a word used when you see a marine creature at the beach and you �re not sure what it is, maybe a cockle shell.... and you say: It �s a cockle or...um...???

I �ve heard this word used in a song.

24 Sep 2010     

blizzard1
Denmark

Cocka short for cockroach
lo short for love
rum alcoholic beverag

The correc definition  for cockalorum  is:

A cockroach that loves rum.

24 Sep 2010     

CHARMED ONE
Mexico

cockalorum:

hummmmm.....

I think it has something to do with "Kalories" and cockroaches. Could it be maybe that cockroaches may cause people to gain weight??  Or you gain weight if you drink rum with cockroaches??  LOL Wacko Confused

I �d better go to bed, tomorrow I �ll come back to check the answer but, I �m almost sure I got it right!!

24 Sep 2010     

douglas
United States

I think lorum has something to do with kudos or recognition and a cock is a rooster

So : Cockalorum is the recognition somebody gets for having a great rooster, for example what the owner of the winning cock at a cock fight receives.

Edit: an example of cockalorum would be: "Hey man, you have the nicest rooster I�ve ever seen."

24 Sep 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

�Cockalorum�

The moment that I saw this word I knew that it had Latin origins.  We, the English, are so used to meeting Latin in our language � �Mutatis mutandis; caveat emptor; spaghetti al dente� and other similar legal phrases, that we recognise them instantly.

However, English has not always been a major World Language.

Centuries ago, Greek and Latin were the dominant languages.  They both competed in the World Language Cup Final, with a narrow win for Greece 1 Iota: Rome Nil.

Unfortunately, England was eliminated in the First Round, losing to Malta (Melita) on a Penalty shoot-out.

It was the Roman, Julius Caesar, who brought Latin, (and ice-cream) to the British Isles, with his rallying cry: �Vini, Vidi, Vici!� which translates as �I came, I saw, I conquered�.  The Spanish adopted this and altered it to: �I came, I saw, I congad�.

�Cock al orum� is the anglicised version of the phrase �Quogue al orum�, which was shouted by Roman publicans in taverns (tavernas) at closing time.  The phrase translates as: �Also at the hour�, or more  colloquially: �Now is the hour�.

It exists in French as �Alors!�; in Italian as �Allora!�; and in Spanish as �Ahora!�

Initially, Julius Caesar ruled England with an iron hand, but after he underwent the drastic Chinese �One Chopstick Diet�, his health began to fail and he lost power.

The English originally retained the first word of the phrase, �Quocque al orum� because they thought that it sounded educated, similar to �Quadrangle�, �Qualified�, and �Quorn�.  Then they realised that it sounded slightly vulgar, so the phrase was no longer used.

�Cockalorum!� = �Last orders, please!�

24 Sep 2010     

Zora
Canada

Cockalorum is slang for a place where people often get together (usually men after a fishing trip or ones reminiscing about their youth) and tell their "cock and bull" stories. This place or "forum" is usually the local pub or watering hole where it �s patrons often tell stories, in a loud and boisterous way, as they make sure everybody knows about "the one that got away" and "how they used to go to school with Harrison Ford..."

Hence, after years of hearing these cock and bull stories, the people who have to listen to these outrageous stories are apt to say things like...

"Are you going to the cockalorum tonight?" instead of "Are you going to the Fox And Crown?".

24 Sep 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

It �s an old Irish word meaning, quite simply, get-up-and-go/vigorous energy/potency but became a taboo word during the Victorian era. It was often replaced by a similar-sounding euphemism particularly evident in the following well-known folk song:

He �s got no falorum, he �s lost his ding-dorum
Maids, when you �re young, never wed an old man

(I believe Chuck Berry had the same problem with one of his songs in the 1970s)

24 Sep 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Sounds like some kind of booze, smth like cocacola and rum.

24 Sep 2010