Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > COMPLAINT    

COMPLAINT

Morticia87
Argentina

Hi! two months ago three of my ws were reported and I didn�t ask here in the forum, but I lost my points as well for some ws which were more than one year and a half old and at that time, there weren�t as many rules as now and they were allowed in the site.
The only thing I made was to write a pm to moderators explaining the situation but I didn�t get any answer...

27 Sep 2010     

Damielle
Argentina

Hi Morticia,
I personally asked Victor about a similar issue and he told me that the "New" rules only apply to worksheets uploaded since February 18th, 2010, when he made the changes.  See his post:

even in the rules, there is a explicit note:

"The rules that have changed will not be applied to older contributions."

This applies to worksheets which have copyrighted pictures, material taken from ESL sites, etc, that is,  rules that were not here before

Please, anybody who knows more about this issue,  tell me if I �m mistaken

27 Sep 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

Damielle and others,

Whether something was taken from an ESL resource yesterday or 5 years ago makes no difference as it cannot be considered as fair use and therefore infringes on the copyright and livelyhoods of others.  This site must also be protected so that no one can accuse Victor of allowing unfair use of other people �s work.

As Zailda pointed out earlier we have two options for reporting old worksheets:  
It �s a copy from (webpage) 
It �s a copy from (a book)

The does not apply to every webpage and book ever published but does apply to ESL resources.  It also applies to non ESL resources when the author fails do do anything to make the worksheet his or her own creation. There are many other members who know more of this issue. 
David

27 Sep 2010     

Morticia87
Argentina

My ws was an exam which in one of the exc sts have to match words in spanish,. but when I uploaded it so long ago, There was no rule "written" (I know most of users here ask us to read the rules) and it had been downloaded many times.... the other was a scanned image and I accept it was not correct.

27 Sep 2010     

Damielle
Argentina

Morticia, the rules were always there but last february some "new" ones were added by Victor after the agreement of several members. The problem is that some people can�t distinguish between new and old rules. For instance, the one that says that the ws had to be in English language was always there and that may have been the reason why yours was reported because, as you said, students had to match with words in Spanish

David, I understand that you consider taking  something from an ESL resource to be unfair use, and I quite agree with you if no credits are given to the author. You can use up to 1,000 words and several pictures from a book to base your exercises as far as you give credits. But in this site the general agreement was to ban ws that include materials taken  from ESL resources. Now for the sake of worksheet removal, those which have something taken from ESL materials and where uploaded before February 2010, should stay according to Victor and the note present in the rules. And I think that it is fair: don�t forget that there are many, lot of, ws that are under these conditions, that is, a picture scanned from and ESL book and a new exercise such a crossword or a story, for example.

27 Sep 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

"for the sake of worksheet removal, those which have somthing taken from ESL materials and where uploaded before February 2010, should stay according to Victor and the note present in the rules."

I am totally unaware of such a rule Damielle and find it difficult to comprehend I looked through the rules again, but I see nothing like that. I suspect that you are mistaken.  It is like saying something stolen before February can stay but after that it must be removed.
Well if I do come across an old worksheet with material taken from members of this website or other ESL resource then I will report it.

27 Sep 2010     

victor
Spain

Hello,

Both worksheets had to be removed, because they used an image from another ESL website (http://www.englishadvantage.info/lesson-plans/giving-directions)
This is against the rule "don �t use pictures taken from other ESL websites or books, even if you add your own exercises"
This is one of the rules that changed on february, and it must be applied to these worksheets, because they were uploaded this year (one in June and the other one in September)
Damielle is right, we should not apply new rules to older worksheets. Anyway, this is not the case.

Mar, the name of the user who reports a worksheet is seen by the moderators because in the past some users abused the reporting system, when it was anonymous.

27 Sep 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

Thank you Victor for that clarification and apologies to Damielle for having doubted you.

Sincerely,
David

27 Sep 2010     

< Previous   1    2