Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > How to quiet a turbulent class!    

How to quiet a turbulent class!

Lucia13
Armenia

How to quiet a turbulent class!

Today in our school we had a seminar by our school psychologist during which we were divided nto groups with specific classroom management challenges to deal with
The situation was

You are facing a turbulent class(everyone �s talking).Suggest some ideas to gain controlover the class using some relaxing methods (no screaming,losing control).What would you do...?

Would appreciate your techniques that really worked for you

27 Sep 2010      

manonski (f)
Canada

Use visuals that students understand such as a noise thermometer. (if it goes to high, students know they �ll lose a privilege, if it stays within a certain level, they earn one)

Turn off the lights

Play music they like but keep it low. I do that often and when they ask me to turn up the volume, I refuse saying that they have to turn down theirs instead.

If you are doing teamwork, ask one person per group to be the "noise manager".

27 Sep 2010     

Nebal
Lebanon

Hello dear Lucia,

Well, classroom management is one of the crucial driving forces to have a un/healthy learning classroom environment, and that �s why every teacher shoud employ a bunch of techniques to keep everything and everyone under control.

*"Game" and "Stay"*

Write the words "Game" and "Stay" with 4 dashes beside them on the board. Ex. GAME _ _ _ _ and STAY _ _ _ _. Let the students know that good behaviour throughout the day will earn "Game" letters, or erase "Stay" letters. Poor behaviour will earn "Stay" letters, or erase "Game" letters. At the end of the day, if they have a full "GAME", then they get to play a game for the last 10-20 minutes of class. If they have a full "STAY", they receive a 10 minute detention. This technique requires a supportive and cooperative teacher who will enforce detention at lunch the next day for students who need to catch the bus.

*The whisper technique*

When the classroom noise level is getting out of control, whisper something along the lines of "If you can hear my voice, raise your hand, because you will be getting 5 minutes of free time at the end of the day". That way, anyone who is listening will hear and will get the reward, but those who were not listening and did not raise their hands will not.

Recording Behaviour*

Let the students know first thing in the morning that you will be recording both positive and negative behaviour from each student in the classroom that you will be reporting back to their regular teacher. Keep a clipboard with you to record behaviour, and make sure to point out good behaviour as you are recording.

All the best,
Nebal;0)))))

27 Sep 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

The following is not really a technique, but it works for me - when I have a group like that, usu teenagers, who know me well and I know them well, all I have to do when they �ve crossed the line is this - I stand on the side of the board and cross my arms over my chest and stop talking altogether. It has never taken more than a minute for them to realize they overdid it and they calm each other down.
I also use manonski �s technique of turning off the light, and playing low music, and it works as well.
Basically, if it �s challenging enough and interesting enough for them, they stay interested and you have control.

27 Sep 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

I work with younger children but mentioning someone �s name that is demonstrating the behaviour you want usually works for me. I might say " I like the way Lucia is listening" or "I like the way Anita is paying attention" in a firm voice that can be heard by most. Ed

27 Sep 2010     

class centre
Belarus

In my class it happens only before the lesson is to start and I �m not in the class. Then I come in , clap twice quite loudly and point to their seats with my both hands. It works!

27 Sep 2010     

Lucia13
Armenia

These are the techniques that the teachers of my group mentioned:

- Speaking down gradually so that the should keep silent to listen to what �s being said
- the one of edrodmedina,(I personally use it also and it works most of the times
- I also would repeat with them the 6 main classroom rules that are
(1.lips closed,2. eyes on the teacher,3.ears listening,4.sit up straight,5.hands and feet quiet,6.Raise your hand before talking)
-standing by the door until the class keeps silent (usually at the beginning of a lesson)
- Having the students stand up and do some physical relaxing exercises
- Stopping the explanation and asking the student who was seaking most of the time what was being said
- Choosing an activity the class is always keen to do
- Changing the topic of explanation,leading some interesting discussions,sharing some recent news

27 Sep 2010     

Nowr
Mexico

what i do is to count up to three once or twice with a firmly voice i say sit down, or silence but i do not permit any student speaks after all the students keep silence even me. then i take students turn to speak. also those kind of students like to listen to story at the end of the class and they stay in calm up to the end of the class. it really works. =)

30 Sep 2010