Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > "the word of the day" 2nd shift    

"the word of the day" 2nd shift

blizzard1
Denmark

"the word of the day" 2nd shift

Hello dear friends,

Now that the post with the "word of the day" has desapeared from the forum I �m posting it again so as many people as possible can participate.

The word of the day is :

GALIMAUFREY

Go ahead and invent a definition for the word.

Hugs,

Elizabeth

27 Sep 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

What a great word! Sounds like some minister from Harry Potter...

but I �d say it �s a meat-eating plant which only grows in the North of Scotland...

27 Sep 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

This sounds so much like Russian galimatia which really means... .... oops, the same really, I �ve looked it up, so I won �t post it. Such a pityConfused
Sophia

27 Sep 2010     

gloriawpai
Brazil

gali means fountain in Hebrew
mau mean bad in Portuguese and frey is a Scandinvian name which means lord
So, .....bad lord �s fountain?

27 Sep 2010     

stexstme
France

Hiya!
Please read : �Galim of ray � :
A galim is a woolen carpet ; rays are lines of light.
ie = A shiny carpet, made of sun rays ( like the one I used to have as a child..)

27 Sep 2010     

Lucia13
Armenia

Grades Are Lowered If Most Are Using French

Read English Yourself

Silly,heh?:)I give it up

27 Sep 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

Galimaufrey
That �s my best friend �s best friend :-D
She a lovely black-eyed girl, married to Tunisian. Embarrassed

27 Sep 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

GALIMAUFREY

There is another English word, �Galischoentelefoontje� (Gali-schoen-telefontje), which, during the 16th century, was used by virtually everyone in the north-east when they rang to order scones from the local bakery.  It is clearly of Dutch origin.  (Sadly, as the telephone hadn�t been invented at that time, the word quickly fell into disuse.)

The word is linguistically interesting, because of the initial �G�, similar to that of �Galimaufrey�.  Gaelic has a melodious �ch�, as in �loch�.  German has a guttural �ch�, as in �doch�.

Yet the most throat-rasping of all is the initial �G� of many Dutch words, for example, �geen�.  This is slightly similar in pronunciation to the English word �cane�, and means an emphatic �none!�, or �no!�  It is an essential part of every Dutch conversation, but is virtually impossible to say!

To try to pronounce the �G� accurately, imagine that you have a caramel stuck in your throat, 20 cm. below your top shirt button and you perform a gargling noise for about a minute, exhaling vigorously to try to clear it, until it pops out onto the carpet.  (This description is almost word-for-word that of the acclaimed Dutch Professor van Hire, in his volume of instruction to Dutch Telephonists, �Phone Ethics�).

Because of the impossibility of pronouncing this essential word, many Dutch citizens emigrate, reducing the size of the population.  However, what is worse, the Dutch wedding service includes the words: �Is there any reason why this man and woman should not be married?�  The Dutch, a shy people, are unwilling to face the embarrassment of the inability to say �Geen!� ("None!") and the vast majority of weddings are abandoned for legal reasons.  No marriage � no children!  This is the reason for the tiny population of Holland!

The European Union has made the situation worse by refusing to discuss the problem, preferring to concentrate on regularising the dimensions of a carrot, and introducing Draconian laws on employment.  (On a technical point, Draconia isn�t even a member of the EU!)  Only recently, I heard of a worker in an orange-juice factory who was sacked because he couldn�t concentrate!

But, let us return to our �Word of the Day�.

Gali � Mauf � Frey = Golly � Mouf (Cockney for �mouth�) � Free.

It can all be summed up in that Cockney rhyme sung to the strains of the London Derri�re (Londonderry Air)

Golly, golly mouf free,                Gosh! Gosh! She is free with her mouth!

What a norf and souf,                 What a mouth! (North and south = Mouth)

She surely has a whopper,         She certainly has a big one.

Nobody can stop her.                 No-one can stop her talking!

GALIMAUFREY = A very talkative girl

Les Douglas (ldthemagicman)

27 Sep 2010