Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WORD OF THE DAY!    

WORD OF THE DAY!

Lucia13
Armenia

WORD OF THE DAY!

Hey guys
It was sooo unexpected.Thanks Elizabeth for appreciating my efforts.Actually tried to compose something witty concerning us teachers and school but that was the  only thing that came to my mind late at night!:)

Ok,let me put aside my tropy and get to work!
Here we go..

Hobbledehoy

Remember that the funniest or wittiest word will be chosen. Not the one with the correct answer.

28 Sep 2010      

Poohbear
Germany

Congrats, dear Lucia! Thanks for the story about the things teachers MAKE in the caf�.

Well, your word is nice. It sounds like an onomatopoeic word for a young horse (foal) which hobbles  across the meadows, is wild anc cheeky and stumbles over its loooong legs and make the owner shout "hoooooooy! go slowly, fellow..."

28 Sep 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

I have a foot injury and I tend to hobble about a lot, but that is neither funny nor witty. I used to work in engineering before I became an English teacher so I know a hob is a tool for cutting gears.

Hobbledehoy is a naval word meaning: I cut myself with a tool.  One day a sailor cut himself with with a hob and sadly bled to death. His final word was "Ehoy!" or something quite similar.

28 Sep 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Hobbledehoy---hobble means to walk with a limp.. de hoy.. means of the day  in Spanish (de jour in French) therefore hobbledehoy is another word for a hypochodriac..a person who has a different limp every day... Ed

28 Sep 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Hobbledehoy

We mustn�t look the answer up in a dictionary!

I suppose we shouldn�t swiz, shenanigan, swindle and trick, trying to test technical tomes, but I couldn�t resist roguishly risking researching the rare, �Exercises in Simple Linguistic Practices�, by Professor Quatch von Dummkopf of Ireland.

He lectures in �Thermal Underwear�, (speaking in Kikuyu), at the Yule Enterprises Technical Institute, in the central sauna of Enonteki�-Kilpisj�rvi, Lapland, Finland.

I was extremely fortunate, for three reasons.

1)   I also speak Kikuyu, together with Swahili and an African Click language, (my false teeth are very badly fitted).

2)   My visit coincided with the only week of daylight in the entire year.

3)   And finally, because there is a direct kayak service between the Arctic Circle and my home town, (with a change at Moscow and another at Istanbul).

My search reveals that the word �Hobbledehoy� comprises �Hobb-le-de-hoy�.

�Hob�, pronounced "Huurb", is Scandinavian for �crumb�; �le-de� is French, meaning �of the� (backwards!); �hoy�, (from the Scandiwegian), is the Tyneside dialect word for �throw� � �to hoy a clemmie�, (�to throw a stone�). �H�ey� is also Norse for �high island�.

In no time at all we have our answer � �Throw the crumbs back to make a high island�.

�Hobbledehoy� � The original recipe for the roughly shaped cake: �The Rock Bun�.

28 Sep 2010     

baiba
Latvia

Les Douglas, it was a swell post!

28 Sep 2010