Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > many questions    

many questions

Yams
Argentina

many questions

hello dear all!!!

I �ve been feeling kind of blue these days. I need ideas about how to improve my group handling skills. Two days ago, one of the supervisors of the private school where I �m working, observed my class, and he told me that I need to be stricter with the students. And as I graduated last year, I �m a very inexperienced teacher. I �m a quite and sweet person, what can I do to have a stronger presence in front of students?

I �m happy because the supervisor told me that students were very happy for having me as their teacher, they like all the activities I prepare and he told me that my classes are very varied and motivating. I must tell you that this is because of you.... I base my classes on what I find here! so thank you sooooooooooooo much for preparing such wonderful worksheet and providing very useful teaching ideas as well....

I would like you to give me some advise, or maybe tell me how you handle with discipline problems....

Thank so much again...

Yams

30 Sep 2010      

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hi Yams,
" my students were happy for having me as a teacher.... they like activities... my classes are varied and motivating" ... are you sure you can �t handle your class ???
Maybe the supervisor �s idea of being strict is too much for kids and they wouldn �t learn with him/her in such an environment ! Do YOU feel sts don �t pay attention to you? Do YOU feel they do as they wish and don �t listen to you?  I think if they like you and work well with you, it �s because you KNOW about class management ! They like working with you because they feel at ease with you ...I �d rather have sts comfortable in class with me and working because they like me than have them working out of fear or because I �d give them the lowest marks... Have you thought of this ?

30 Sep 2010     

Yams
Argentina

the problem is that they �re very talkative, they really like English, most of them go to English institutes, and they want to participate.... this problem arises when they keep on talking and talking and I spend many minutes trying to calm them down and be in silence... and you know that it �s very difficult to work in a noisy atmosphere... that �s why I �m worried...

30 Sep 2010     

Yams
Argentina

the problem is that they �re very talkative, they really like English, most of them go to English institutes, and they want to participate.... this problem arises when they keep on talking and talking and I spend many minutes trying to calm them down and be in silence... and you know that it �s very difficult to work in a noisy atmosphere... that �s why I �m worried...

30 Sep 2010     

Mariethe House
France

have a look at this . You should find some ideas. Good luck to you. We have all been through this! You will succeed!

http://www.marvinmarshall.com/

30 Sep 2010     

Yams
Argentina

thanks for your words, Mariethe and Alicia ... I know that every teacher has to deal with this, we have to learn how to do it...I �m in the process... 

1 Oct 2010     

magdita
Argentina

Hi Yams,

First, try to see if they are too talkative at times(maybe when you �re doing a game) or if they can �t do any activity without talking. I usually let them talk a little bit at times(between activity and activity) but then they work very well

Secondly, I don �t know yopur student �s age but you could try the "surprise box" you make an attractive box and a hole in it, half covered so they cannot see what is inside. You put small things inside for your students � age(for e.g. I included stickers, world cup cards, pencils, erasers).Keep a record of those who behave well during the week. At the end of each week you tell the best behaved student to choose sth from the surprise box. It really worekd for my 10 year old students!Good luck!

1 Oct 2010     

Yams
Argentina

thanks magdita, very nice idea!!! they �re between 12 and 14 years old, so maybe I can adapt your "surprise box"... thanks....

1 Oct 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Hi again, Yams. I have a group like that, they are 14-year-olds, and they are used to working when we have to work if they want to chat while they do sth which is not individual.
I mean, when I explain things, or when we do oral activities , they listen and we interact, they pay attention (there are always exceptions ... but they finally come round and do like the rest). They know they have a chance to talk - they are very talkative, too - when they do some kind of task in pairs or groups. I time them, say, I give them 15 min. for a particular activity and after that we share what they �ve done. You wouldn �t believe the nice atmosphere! They talk AND work, they contribute to a good result in the group while they comment on things typical of their ages and the like.
Maybe it �s because we �ve been working like that since March, they are used to it.
Who knows? it could work for you, too!

1 Oct 2010     

salaskas1
Belgium

Hi Yams
Just read through all the threads and hope things are improving for you.  Believe me I know exactly how you feel! I work at an international school and teach elementary students from 1st grade through to 6th grade (thankfully not all at the same time!).  With 117 students, no materials and large class sizes it can get a little crazy!  Without esl printables heaven knows where I would be!
My teaching style sound similar to yours and hope the following is helpful:-
For my younger ones I set up a reward system of smilies whereby they receive smiliey tokens if they do well, behave, etc - it works a treat! Let me know if you want details and I can send more on PM.  
As for the older ones, 5th graders and 6th graders, at the beginning of the year I did lessons on rules for the classroom.  Put them into groups and let them decide what the rules should be.  Asked them to make a little play with one of them being a teacher, the rest being the students and they presented it to the class.  We then voted on the best rules and I make them into a large poster which we all had to sign.  This helped to establish a base of the learning environment.  I also took this a step further and asked them to write for homework what makes a good student ....
If you wish me to send my list of rules to help you I can.  I reduced the voted ones down and simplified them (plus adding a couple of my own!)
Good luck and don �t be discouraged - aliciapc is right - I would must rather have comfortable students loving English then ones who hate it! Thumbs Up

1 Oct 2010     

Yams
Argentina

thanks, salaska1... I went to bed early yesterday and I couldn �t thank you properly (this cold is killing me)
Making students feel that they have to take responsibility in the classroom atmosphere is a great idea..

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Oct 2010