Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day    

Word of the Day

Poohbear
Germany

Word of the Day

OK, just returned from apple-picking (I �ll post a picture at the caf� later on), here is the new Word of the Day.

It is
podobromhydrosis

Remember, this is a game... It �s not about posting the real meaning (we all can use the Internet!), it is not about the correct dictionary definition. It is about being witty and humorous or maybe wacky.

So, give it a try and post your personal definitions. The winner will be chosen on a totally subjective basis and will receive the priceless honour of posting tomorrow �s Word of the Day.

Have fun, everyone!
Petra

P.S. Thanks and big hugs, Sylvie and Najla! Hug

2 Oct 2010      

gloriawpai
Brazil

podobromhydrosis =
podo= I believe it �s foot
brom= or broom?
hydrosis = coming from water
someone cleaning a swimming pool :)

2 Oct 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

okay! let �s play then!
podo- = means "foot"in Greek
brom- = comes from the bromine (a chemical element)
hydro- = means "water" of course!!!
-osis = a suffix occurring in nouns that denote actions, conditions, or states, esp. disorders or abnormal states
so "podobromhydrosis" = a disease whose first symptom is to have your feet take the colour of bromine (red-brown) when you put water on them!!! be careful, if your feet start to be "brown-red", go to the doctor �s at once: if not cured this condition can become very serious! your feet will not only look like bromine but transform themselves into solid bromine, at this point if amputation is not done quickly, your whole body will transform and you will look like this:

(imagine the person �s skin colour is red-brown, not silver...)

be warned!!!

2 Oct 2010     

stexstme
France

Hiya Petra!
Bombilations! This is a nice word!! LatinLOL, again! =
pod = for i-pod
o- bro = shortened for �Oh! Brother �
m = Hmm... = Not sure
hydro = water
-sis = Serious matter!
ie = Podobromhydrosis = " Oh! Brother! I �m not sure, but I think you �ve dropped your i-pod into the water again!"
( my deepest apologies to i-pods or/and brothers I might have offended!Approve)
Sylvie

2 Oct 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Oh gosh this one is soooo easyyyyy

Podobromhydrosis=
Podo= our dear member from down under APODO
Brom= short for broom
Hydrosis=Lacking fluid
and the result>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Apodo �s broom is dry!

See, simple!Wink

2 Oct 2010     

Greek Professor
Greece

Morning everyone...greetings from sunny Patra...from my holiday house near the beach...sorry...everyone is welcomed though...

have to agree with: gloriawpai and ELOJOLIE274

2 Oct 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Hahahaha! I am afraid I can �t do better! Anyway I �ll just participate:

Hydro: water
brom: broom:
podo: feet
isis: Egyptian goddess

This is all about how the Egyptian goddess would wash her feet in water with a broom whereas Cleopatra would wash her nose in milk with a winklepicker! There you are folks! Just believe me and I give the prize to ......er.....er.... Not me please!!!

2 Oct 2010     

Poohbear
Germany

Too easy? Well, I �m glad I didn �t post my first idea, cryogenic... I would have been disqualified! Very funny answers today, you guys seem to be having a great weekend so far!LOL

Go ahead, everyone, give it a try!

P.S. @Greek Professor: Greetings from Petra to Patra Wink

2 Oct 2010     

stexstme
France

Petra went to Patra, where she met a pathetic patriot. She pushed him onto the path, & pulled his pants down. � Peter Pan! � she said - �You �re painful with this podobromhydrosis of yours! �Dead

2 Oct 2010     

ditku
Poland

Translating the word from Polish (with an ortographic error in declension):

It �s the condition of water ("hydrosis") under the Obra River ("pod obrOM" should be: "pod Obrą"). :D :D

2 Oct 2010     

erikaandel
Brazil

The production of feet "brown water" .LOLLOL

2 Oct 2010