Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Let´s start a new debate!!!!     

Let´s start a new debate!!!!

aldanaVenadoTuerto
Argentina

Let´s start a new debate!!!!

Hello beautiful people!!!!

I have a question for all of you that has been haunting me for ever!!!!! LOL

You know how we usually read years in pairs of number �(e.g 1987 nineteen eighty-seven) instead of reading the full number? Well, my questions is: can we do the same with our present century? Can we say, e.g, 2008 twenty ou eight? Or do we have to read this as the full number, meaning two thousand and eight?

I hope i�ve been clear and you understand my question.

I would love it if you could answer my queery ;)

THANKS A LOT

Aldana

1 Dec 2008      

gicela
Argentina

Hello Aldana,

That�s a good question. I had the same doubt but i heard in differnt opportunities 2008 (two thousand and eight). Let�s wait for other answers.

1 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

I always tell my student�s "no" - 2000 to 2009 should be read 2 thousand and whatever number... BUT after that they can read it two by two - 2010 - twenty ten... I�ve never heard it twenty oh - whatever... ever , not even when I was living in Canada or on the radio when I listen today...

1 Dec 2008     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Hi,

Both forms are right:

2008  two thousand and eight
          twenty oh eight

0 in BrE is written "oh" and pronounced like the vowel "o"

2 Dec 2008     

BelyR
United States

Wow I didn�t know both forms were right. Always thought it was two thousand (and whatever number), instead of 20-09. For the other ones I�ve always known you were supposed to read it in two�s.....mmm...interesting...

2 Dec 2008     

igof
Portugal

Hello to all of you...

Good question. I also have that doubt and I believe many of our fellow teachers too. I have to say that I agree with Zora on this one. I also believe we should read it two thousand and... and from 2010 on we can read it in pairs.

Confused I�m a bit confused now!!!! LOL

2 Dec 2008     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Of course I cannot make you listen to the programmes or people I know but if you know...let�s say..."New English File" Elementary  Oxford University Press (BR E) -just to mention one textbook, you will find it there: printed and on the audio...

I do not think they may be wrong...  Wink

2 Dec 2008     

brazilrule
Brazil

I�m English and teach in Brazil and back home in London we say two thousand and eight.  Sorry to say this Tere-arg but you have been misinformed I�m afraid.  And actually, in England we will continue to use the two thousand and ........... form right up to 2100.  For example, tthe Olympic Games in London will be held in two thousand and twelve not twenty twelve.

I hope this clears it up a little

Good luck eveyone

Terry

2 Dec 2008     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Are you a  qualified teacher?

Being English does not mean speaking Standard English or doing it well as being Argentinian would not mean speaking my mother tongue well.  It all depends how much I have studied it.

I "am not informed".  I am "a teacher"
I am somebody who has studied the language for years, has taught it for long and is in permanent touch with both American and British people every day.
What�s more, I was invited to take part in an American radio programme about Jazz and poetry representing my country and had to read the year in twos as requested.

Now, according to you, the well-known Publishing House has been editing this book with mistakes.
Strange, isn�t it?

2 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

Here�s a webpage that explains it... And btw... I am a qualified teacher Teresa, and NEVER have I heard 20-oh - 8 not in Canada, not in the US and not in Britian... Sorry, but I have to agree with brazilrule

http://www.ego4u.com/en/cram-up/vocabulary/date/year

2 Dec 2008     

Tere-arg
Argentina

I have or would not have said anything.

So...you should be working for Oxford. It seems they do not know enough... Wink

I rely upon well-known grammar books /books.

I just made my contribution on solid grounds.
No interest in useless discussion.

Relax...and enjoy...Smile

Nite, nite (American style)  lol

2 Dec 2008     

1    2    3    Next >