Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > present simple    

present simple

msmsr
Portugal

present simple

Hi everybody!

I�ve been working with the same classes for two years and I thought that they would know the present simple forms by now, but i�m really sad to realise, after the summer holidays, that they just can�t understand how this works or are unable to memorise the third person singular form wether it�s affirmative, negative or interrogative. How do you teach this to your students? Is it a problem of portuguese students or do you feel the same? Please give me some explanation for this if you can!

Thanks very much

2 Dec 2008      

Mar (itxasobcn)
Spain

Don�t worry at all. I�ve been teaching for years and it takes a long time for students to learn the present simple well, specially when you mixed it with the present continuous. They usually forget the 3rd. person S and mix do with does or even with to be. Even upper-intermediate students sometimes forget the S!!!
So don�t worry, it�s not you or your students. It�s quite normal. What we do is lots of speaking in the classroom and plenty of exercises (drills included) and finally they get used to it. But as I said, don�t worry. It just takes time.
Best regards and good luck!

2 Dec 2008     

msmsr
Portugal

Hello

They seem to know it in the classroom, when we are working but when they do the tests, it�s so disapointing. Just a few seem to really remind what they have been learning.

All the best, susana

2 Dec 2008