Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the Day (WOD)    

Word of the Day (WOD)

douglas
United States

Word of the Day (WOD)

Hello to all you neologists out there!

Today I have been honored with the right to select the Word of the Day.

Please remember that this is a game to stimulate creativity and to have fun.  Anybody can Google the word, and then cut and paste the definition here--that is not what we are looking for.  Try to come up with your very own "new" definition for the word and post it here.

The the Word of the Day is:  poetaster

**I will also give extra consideration to anyone who can work this "up and coming" word into your definition: wenis.  (I chose not to use this word because it has not yet been accepted as a word by the "standard" dictionaires).

Have Fun,

Douglas

5 Oct 2010      

David Lisgo
Japan

It is someone who works in the royal court and listens to new poems from the royal poet. If he likes what he hears then the king can also listen.  Synonomous to a food taster.

Got students; must go.

Class has finished.  As to the wenis, it sounds positively rude, but I believe a pair of wenis ear muffs made from superfluous skin from some part of the body are used to protect the king�s delicate ears from the harsh realities found in the royal poet�s poetry.

Now where exactly does that loose skin come from?

5 Oct 2010     

Mietz
Germany

I think there �s a spelling mistake, so it is somebody who tastes poets. (Don �t want to think about that to closely...)

5 Oct 2010     

Mariethe House
France

A diminutive form of"poet disaster" so it must be a "no good poet"

Or Edgar Allen POE Taster: Someone who likes POE �s Poetry!!I Don ´t Know

5 Oct 2010     

Greek Professor
Greece

Morning to all....

Well: this time not a greek word...Cry
Poet : of course...
Aster: some type of flower...

Verdict: The poet and the flower... /The Poet �s flowers...

Have a nice day everyone...

5 Oct 2010     

yetigumboots
Germany

OK think it comes from German Po (bottom) taste (touch)  so that makes a bottom toucher. (he he) sorry could not resist.

Yeti x

5 Oct 2010     

Jayho
Australia

poetaster & wenis

Well, the first is someone sampling the many works of American writer, poet, editor and literary critic Edgar Allen Poe.  A taster of Poe, a Poetaster.  

Poe penned a work entitled �Wenis �, which interestingly enough is an anagram of swine, sinew and wines, a particular literary work of macabre and mystery.  In this story the main character, Detective Wenis, a sinewy man with a penchant for wines, discovers the swine responsible for a particular kind of epidemic responsible for many deaths including that of his young wife whom he married at the age of 13 (her age) and lost to this tragic flu a mere 12 years later.  Officials, in recognition of Poe�s endeavour to uncover the origin of this flu via his work, officially named it the Wenis flu in honour of Poe�s fictionalised Detective Wenis.

(edit: oops, I just saw that Mariethe beat me to the definition - great minds think alike hey Mariethe Wink)

5 Oct 2010     

denfer
Czech Republic

In Czech po means after
              ETA is a famous Czech producer of electrical appliances for domestic use
and the word just sounds like a disaster to me.
So it must me some kind of a disaster caused by using an electrical appliance such as
a vacuum cleaner (hoovering a hamster ?) or a mixer ( happens quite often to me so I�d better remember this word)... 

5 Oct 2010     

PMaryAnn
Spain

I�ve been thinking long �bout this word,
But can only think the absurd.
If you are one, do you taste Poe?
Or do deeds for the king, I just don�t know!

Yes, I�ve been thinking about a Poetaster.
Is it a disaster caused by an appliance or maybe a laser?
Yetigumboots says it�ll touch your bum.....
However, I much prefer the flower idea and I�d like some!

As for me, well I wouldn�t know.
I�m a poet, can�t you tell?
And now, dear folk it�s time to go.
It�s 3 o�clock and I hear the bell.

What was that word again? Wink

5 Oct 2010     

Lucia13
Armenia

you are a real poetesse PMaryAnn

5 Oct 2010     

PMaryAnn
Spain

What was that?  I�m a real poetaster - did you say?? LOL!

5 Oct 2010     

1    2    Next >