Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the Day (WOD) round two    

Word of the Day (WOD) round two

douglas
United States

Word of the Day (WOD) round two

The folks on the west coasts of the Americas should be turning on their computers about now so here�s the link to the word of the day:

There�s been some hilarious inputs so far, it�s going to be real hard to pick a "best" one.

Cheers,
Douglas

5 Oct 2010      

edrodmedina
United States

I �m glad it �s not Word A Day.

5 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

�Poetaster�.  �Wenis�.

At a Magic Circle Dinner on one of the lesser well-known islands where they still practice Cannibalism, one of the guests commented:

�I must be honest and say that I don�t like our President!�

His friend remarked:

�Well, just eat the vegetables and leave him on the side of the plate!�

Perhaps I should also explain that one of the reasons why Cannibals don�t eat Clowns is because they taste funny!

On the Forum this week, there have been letters on various subjects regarding Members� abilities.  My doctor has prescribed Green Cow Medicine for me, and now I do not suffer from the delusion that I can fly!

Moreover, I have a �You Can Swim One Length of Gateshead Baths� (supervised) Certificate, so I trust that no-one will doubt my qualification to be a Member of ESLP.

The clue to This Week�s fascinating �Word of the Day� is in the question which is on the lips of every Boy Scout or Girl Guide who is being tested on Knots.

�How do you make a Bow-line?�

�Make a Bee-line with O�s!� 

From this, it is but a short step to:

�Wen-is a poetaster not a poetaster?�

�Wen-is tasting pies!�

On a serious note, I think that �Word of the Day� serves a really useful purpose in exploring humour, as part of the unbelievably-varied, intellectually-rich, multi-talented community, which calls itself �ESLP�.  Importantly, as the �baton� passes from hand-to-hand, it enables teachers world-wide who occasionally lack self-confidence - in isolated, unfriendly, difficult situations - realise that they also can make a small contribution:  to ESLP personally;  to learning in particular;  and to the world in general.

Don�t forget that all Teachers: no matter how �important or unimportant�; no matter how �qualified or unqualified�; no matter how �old or young�; Shine out their Knowledge, with a Pure, Clear Light.

�In this world of Darkness, so let us Shine: You in your Small Corner, and I in Mine!�

Les Douglas

5 Oct 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

poetaster ?
I think the poetaster is my friend �s daughter!
She loves reading (listening to) spooky stories and Haloween is her favourite holiday Heart
She "tastes" the stories of Poe, Stoker, Doyle, Hitchcock every month, so she is a poetaster for sure :-D
poetaster = spooky stories lover

5 Oct 2010     

ituska
Slovakia

Of course, nobody can guess what that tricky word means if there is a spelling mistake Tongue

POETESTER - is a category of polymers which contain the ester functional group in their main chain. Although there are many -esters, the term "poetester" as a specific material most commonly refers to poetethylene terephthalate (PEET). Poetesters include naturally-occurring chemicals, such as in the very old and very bad volumes of poetry.

Depending on the chemical structure poetester can be a classic or modern.

(Wikipedia)

Yeah, so that �s the true about poetester... It is a very common material made of bad poetry - nowadays used basically in fashion industry. LOL My favourite piece is this modern poetester handbag

5 Oct 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Oh Douglas
I weely musth poetaster....
I justh came back from the dentisth and I musth poetaster again wenis dis anasthetic going to ware off???? oh thuckssss

5 Oct 2010     

tancredo
Portugal

poetaster stands for"protester" said by someone who has a speaking disability .

I am right, am I not?
(LOL)

5 Oct 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Oh my God! All these clever people here! I wouldn �t like to be in your place ,Douglas, because none of them is a poetaster and apart from tossing a coin , I wonder how you will make your choice!! good luck!Good Luck

5 Oct 2010