Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Collaborate?    

Collaborate?

blunderbuster
Germany

Collaborate?

Hi,

Question time (non-FAQ-related). Wink

When would you use "collaborate" instead of "cooperate"? Which other word do you use instead of "collaborate"?

Regards

5 Oct 2010      

ELOJOLIE274
France

cooperate:
- to work or act together or jointly for a common purpose or benefit.
- to work or act with another or other persons willingly and agreeably.
- to practice economic cooperation.

collaborate:
-
to work, one with another; cooperate, as on a literary work: They collaborated on a novel.
- to cooperate, usually willingly, with an enemy nation, esp. with an enemy occupying one �s country: He collaborated with the Nazis during World War II.
syn.:
collude, join, assist, abet.

source: http://dictionary.reference.com/

5 Oct 2010     

el_profe55
Argentina

collaborate is used when we talk about
- to work together with a person or group in order to ACHIEVE something, especially in science or art: THE TWO NATIONS ARE COLLABORATING IN SEVERAL SATELLITE PROJECTS.
- collaborate to do something: RESERCHERS ARE COLLABORATING TO DEVELOP THE VACCINE.
- collaborate in (doing) something: ELEPHANTS COLLABORATE IN LOOKING AFTER THEIR YOUNG.
- To help a country that your country is fighting a war with, especially one one that has taken control of YOUR country: VIGILANTS BEGAN COMBING THE CITY FOR ANYONE KNOWN TO HAVE COLLABORATE WITH THE ENEMY.

co-operate or cooperate is used when we talk about:

-to work with someone else to achieve something that you both want THE TWO UNIVERSITIES ARE TO COOPERATE IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF A NEW INDUSTRIAL PROCESS.
- Cooperate to do something : BOTH SIDES AGREED TOI CO-OPERATE TO PREVENT ILEGAL FISHING IN THE AREA.
- to do what someone wants you to do: I ADVISED MY CLIENT TO COOPERATE FULLY WITH THE POLICE./ IF YOU REFUSE TO CO-OPERATE, I WILL KILL YOU.

AND SOME SYNONYMS ARE: join forces, get together, join up with,participate, coproduce, team up, throw in together, throw inwith, tie in, work with

hope it helps!!!!
HAVE A NICE DAY!!! ALEX CARR

5 Oct 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Hi BB

Before anyone knocks me down I �d like to say that the following answer is from my own living/breathing experience and not from a dictionary.  Therefore, it is what is commonly used in the area that I live/work in which might be different to other countries or other people �s perceptions based on dictionary definitions.

I only ever hear the word �collaborate � in formal situations such as business tenders or reports on teams/companies collaborating (working together).  IMHO it �s not a commonly used word in everyday English in the circles that I mix in.  In informal situations people usually say work together.  I rarely hear the word co-operate informally either.  When some-one co-operates there is usually trouble brewing  e.g. he co-operated with the police

In the business sense co-operate and collaborate have different meanings.  It depends on your context.

Cheers

Jayho

6 Oct 2010     

Pelletrine
France

Wow Jayho and el profe55 !

I think your answers are great and very complete !

But maybe, sometimes it can help to think, just quick, about the composition  of the two words
 co = together
operate = do something /change the state of something
labor = work (often for money, or gain in someway.... or out obligation !) ( you would never speak of slave operating, would you? -  Only slave labor)

- (it �s only out of own reading experience) :

I would only use collaborate with the ennemy in a negative way: benefit for the only person collaborating : out of fear or greed.
       I would use cooperate with the ennemy when both parts hope thus, for a better common result for both parties.

Nighty night ..... hope the bugs don �t bite .....

6 Oct 2010