Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the Day for Wednesday    

Word of the Day for Wednesday

douglas
United States

Word of the Day for Wednesday

Good Morning!

David Lisgo was the winner of yesterday´s WOD.  Unfortunately he is currently in the hospital for a minor operation so he has asked me to post his word for him.

David�s Word of the Day is:

onychotillomania

Please remember that we are looking for creative, new definitions for the word--not "cut and pasted" web definitions.

Have fun,

Douglas

Get well soon David!

6 Oct 2010      

aloga
Spain

Good morning!
Just a medium silly guess: in Spanish "chotillo" is a kid, delicious when roasted; "mania" the same as in English; but I can �t think of a good guess for "ony, sorry.
Well, it �s only a kind of joke (I �ve looked for it in the Net and now I know something more).
Thanks because I learn from you everyday.

6 Oct 2010     

magneto
Greece

That �s an easy one! The obsessive - compulsive tendency to try to pull your nails out of your fingers...Didn �t look it up in the dictionary or something. I had a student who had a similar compulsion:  trichotillomania

Can you guess what that means?

P.S.: So many Greek words in English�(I was looking for a boasting emoticon to add here, but couldn �t find one)

Get well soon David!

Cheers everyone!

6 Oct 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

Hello!
I know this one!!! "trichotillomania" is the habit of pulling one �s hair to eat it...  so onychotillomania must mean that the person having this problem is always having a piece of onyx in his month, and  he/she �s sucking it like a lollipop... i don �t know anyone suffering from that disorder, but i know many people - including me - who are suffering from pencachotillomania... and that �s really annoying trust me... you always need to chew the object in question (in my case pen caps...) even you look totally stupid when you �re doing it... the worst is when someone wants to borrow your pen and realizes your pen cap is all chewed up... at least with onyx this problem doesn �t exist, since this stone is very hard...
have a nice day!!!
Elodie

6 Oct 2010     

Mariethe House
France

I don �t know why you try to find such far fetched definitions when it is as clear as stream water that it is the greek translation for the English motto: " Honni soit qui mal y pense" And I am sure many of you must be biting their nails now for not thinking about it!!LOL

6 Oct 2010     

douglas
United States

Here �s my wacky definition (it �s David �s word, not mine):

ONY-ornery
chot- I was taught that Mexican slang for police is "chota" (I hope this is not offensive!)
ill-sick
mania- a craze

Onychotillomania--a situation where a large number of ornery cops suddenly call in sick.

6 Oct 2010     

Greek Professor
Greece

Morning....all
get well soon David...
Hi Douglas....

Big smile...of course another greek word...i know the meaning...but ...here is sth else...

of course it has to do with finger nails...
mania..= disorder...of some kind
therefore....someone who is crazy about their...manicure

Have a nice day

6 Oct 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

too much has been revealed already .. :-(

6 Oct 2010     

Apodo
Australia

Onychotillomania: This is a condition of those with perfect pitch. They become manic when waiting for someone to sing in tune.

(If the off key music continues they rip their hair out and bite their nails.)

6 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

�Word of the Day� onychotillomania

Get well soon, David.

I�m saddened that David has chosen such a simple Word today.  I really enjoy a bit of a challenge: something like, �Find an English word that contains the consonantal cluster �kspthr�, but has only one vowel!�  Now, that�s moderately difficult!

Only last night, in the Youth Club, my friends and I were discussing �onychotillomaniosity�, which is, of course, �an interest in onychotillomania�.  There are several insouciantly saucey associated substantives: �onychotillomaniaciousness�; �onychotillomaniAndria� (for girls); onychotillomaniaopody (which is performed standing on one leg); and uni-onychotillomania (which is basically the same word, but is spoken by University students, to give it more snob value).

Onychotillomanic = the adjective; onychotillomaniacally = the adverb; onychotillo! = the expletive; and the preposition = ony.

This latter word occurs, as some erudite person has noted, in the motto, (freely translated from the German):

�Ony schwa key Malley ponce�.  (�Honi soit qui mal y pense�).  (�Don�t even think about it!�)

"But what does �onychotillomania� really mean?" asks some sad student who constantly receives the text message, �GAL � (Get A Life!).

Ony-chot-till-o-mania

This is Anglo-Indian in origin.  Consequently, the word order is not the same as in European languages.  A �chota peg� is a large glass of whiskey or similar spirits.

�Oh, my goodness!  Drinking like that will drive you mad!�

�Onychotillomania� = �Alcoholism�

6 Oct 2010     

Yams
Argentina

@douglas: Here in argentina "chota" is a very vulgar word for penis and it �s also an insult meaning dork or something like that..... LOL

well, my try....
ony: comes from only
chotill: comes from an argentinian insult
and mania:
sooooo this word means a compulsive behaviour in some men that are constantly dating stupid women insted of intelligent ones.... (gosh, I know plentyyyy of them Confused)

Yams

6 Oct 2010