Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the Day (2)    

Word of the Day (2)

Yams
Argentina

Word of the Day (2)

hello dear members!!!!

I �m sooooooo glad Douglas chose me as the winner of this funny game!!!!!!!!

this is the second part, here are the previous answers:

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=23058

the word today is:                               
 Pulveratricious

Remember, this is a game, only the funniest and wittiest definition will be chosen!!!! not the correct one....

have fuuuuuuunnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yams

7 Oct 2010      

stexstme
France

Hi! I �m deeply sorry for this definition, but YOU chose the word!!
pul = pull ( sex meaning)
Vera : Big castrated pigs in French
Tri : Three ( Latin )
-cious : Sounds suspicious!
Adjective = about someone who keeps watching three pigs having fun together!
eg : � Where is he ??? � - � He �s gone to the farm again!!!! Dear Lord!! He�s sooo pulveratricious!!!�
( PS = I make it a point not to win this game! Get it ???)Wink

7 Oct 2010     

Yams
Argentina

well done everybody!!!!!!!!

keep on guessing!!!!!!!!!!! I want to read more answers when I come back!!!!! (and obviously, the teacher inside me comes out over and over again......)

stexsme, i got it! LOL

I �m going to participate too, here it goes....

Pul: to pull sth
Vera: Veracruz, a city in Mexico
tri: three
cious: comes from precious

so, it �s a kind of spell used for many Mexican travel agencies!!

Pulveratricious, pulveratricious, come and visit us...pulveratricious!!!!!!!!

7 Oct 2010     

stexstme
France

And the winner is : ( ta tam!!!)
Yams!!!!!!!!!!!!!
( Bad luck!!LOL)
Sylv �
PS = Planning a trip to Mexico some day - Very useful!!!Thumbs Up

7 Oct 2010     

Yams
Argentina

hahahaha!!!! see, it �s very useful!

every country should invent one, for example:
pulargitricius! come to argentinaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!! pulargitricius, pulargitricius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you �ll have free accommodation in my apartment!! are there any boys there??????? better!!!! Party hahaha

at 8 o �clock (argentina time) I �m going to announce the winner of the game today!!!!
good luck everyone!!!

7 Oct 2010     

stexstme
France

Hiya Yams!!!
No boys in sight Cry- just little me ( not speaking Spanish!) BUT : If you do not announce  me as being the best one on your (silly!!!) word game, I might invite you in France. Approve.... Desperately looking for gloomy skies, heavy rain, & unfriendly people ? Hmm?;.......... OK!!! You �re invited to my place!!!
Hug

7 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Pulveratricious

I�m so happy that Yams has chosen a Word for us today!  The word �Pulveratricious� is something you can really get your teeth into � like Strawberry Mousse!

As a teacher, I�m fascinated by words!  (Sentences are a bit more difficult, and my spelling is abs-sew-loot-lee terror-bell, but words � fascinating!)

I became interested in words at a very early age.  As my Mam was changing my nappy, I remember thinking: �Why does the family next door use the expressions �A Number One� and �A Number Two�, (�Urination� and �Defecation�), when they speak to the baby?  My Mam says �Wee-wee� and �Pooh� to me!  Is it because they are numeracy-literate and we aren�t?�

More questions crowded into my little head: �Is �wee-wee� an early example of �alliteration�?  Can �wee-wee� possibly be a demonstration of infantile �onomatopoeia�?  Does onomatopoeia� really mean what I think it means (�on-a-mat-a-pee----a-a-a-a-h-h-h!!!�)?

I was more confused than a student who doesn�t know the difference between �this is�; �that is�; and �thesis�.

As for the word �pooh�, I still prefer not to discuss it in mixed company!

When the English wish to make a statement which �the whole world knows to be true�, they often ask a rhetorical question, such as: �Is the Pope a Catholic?�

Some Politically Correct Speakers think that this is an insult to the Pope, and they are afraid of being sued, so they ask a different question.  They know that bears cannot afford to hire a lawyer, so they ask: �Do bears pooh in the woods?�

Please, Members, at a Party, do not answer this question with the reply �Yes!  They do!� nor with the additional information, �Sometimes, they do it in the mountains!�

You may think that you are supplying much-needed zoological detail.  In reality, you are supplying the Greatest Conversation-Stopper Known to Mankind.

We shall pass hurriedly on to our Word, �Pulveratricious�, which is totally Italian in origin.

Pu = can, also pooh; l�vera = the truth ; trici = a matrix; o = or; usa = use

A medicine (or similar) to use which can reveal the true medical condition about something which I prefer not to discuss!  The doctors among you will instantly recognise it.

Pulveratricious = Having a laxative effect

Les Douglas

7 Oct 2010