Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > PLAY DOH AS A RESOURCE    

PLAY DOH AS A RESOURCE

valfairyrose
Uruguay

PLAY DOH AS A RESOURCE

Hello friends,

I �d like to use Play Doh in my class, and I �d like to know how would you use it?
Have you ever tried?
How was it? Would you recomend it?

In this case my students are 15 - 35 years old.

Thanks!
Huge Hug
Val

9 Oct 2010      

chokosaki
United States

Playdoh can be used in a lot of ways.  It �s great for making anything from letters, to animals, to shapes.  It can also be used in an instructional way while teaching body parts. 

Example:  Ok, everyone, now we �ll start by making the cat �s head.  Let �s make a big circle.  Now, we �ll make two triangles.  These will be the cat �s ears. 

Could also be used as a game similar to pictionary.  One student tries to quickly make something while the other students try to guess what it is.

You could even begin class with premade animals.  Many different animals.  Ask the children what they see and then you could instruct them to remove certain parts of the animals body. This could also be a follow up activity to the previously mentioned animal creation.

You can also have a simple pattern on paper and the children need to apply the playdoh in the right way to make the picture. 

I only used it a little in the classroom.  My school used to stock in all the classrooms.  If I were you, I �d let each student have their own allotted bit of playdoh.  This way it doesn �t get mixed up TOO bad and the children aren �t fighting over it. 

Oh, another idea could be something similar to �draw your word �.  IE...If i write the word �cat � I might give the C cat eyes and ears where as the T would become a tail of sorts.  You could do this with playdough easily.  First give students a letter they need to make.  Then you could put all the letters up together and ask them what word these will spell.  One student has t, another a, another c (just saying there are 3 students...could work with multiple students each doing the same letter).  Then, once they get the word, let them put it together.  Then you could have them come up with ideas on how to decorate it (ie adding the tail). 

I hope some of these ideas prove to be useful!

9 Oct 2010     

kate0611
Korea, South

I used play dough for a guessing and a direction  activity.

Giving directions activity:

You make up cards with the picture of an object (i.e. cup and saucer) or with the object word printed on the card.  (It �s better to use words/objects related to class lesson).

Small groups activity- one person is the sculptor (uses play dough to sculpt object)  and 3 students give directions on how to sculpt the object with out using the name of the object or parts of the object.  The 3 students get to see the card.  The sculptor does not get to see the card.   After looking at the card, the 3 students start to give the sculptor directions.  The groups have 5 minutes to complete the task (or what ever time you think is appropriate.  When the 5 minutes is up, the students can walk around and try to match the cards to the sculptures.  They can also vote on the sculpture that looks the closest to the picture on the card. 

Guessing activity - pairs. - need cards with action words - (eating, running, cooking, writing, talking, etc)

The sculptor gets an action word card, the second student is not allowed to see the card.

The sculptor is given a card with an action word - for example "eating" - and sculpts a scene with that word -example - a  person eating a pizza.  The other person has to guess what the action is -  "He is eating a pizza" .  The other student must guess within the time allocated ( 2 minutes or whatever you think is appropriate).  If they guess correctly, they get a point for their team.  The 2 students take turns being sculptors.

These two activities are really fun and get the students talking and laughing.
Good luck. 

9 Oct 2010