Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the day - 2nd shift    

Word of the day - 2nd shift

blizzard1
Denmark

Word of the day - 2nd shift

Word of the day

Today �s word of the day is:

PABULOUS

Remember not to post the real definition.

Hugs
Elizabeth

10 Oct 2010      

moravc
Czech Republic

Pabulous man is a fabulous pub bummer who sits + drinks a lot and talks a lot :-D

10 Oct 2010     

ituska
Slovakia

Pab - Pablo
lous - lousy

PABULOUS is a lousy counterfeiter of Pablo �s art

10 Oct 2010     

Pelletrine
France

Pabu - "pas bu" (in French) = have/hasn �t drunk

- so, I think that the pabulous people, are the fabulous people who drive you home after a rather �wet � party : because they are the only sober ones ;o)) capable of doing so without getting into trouble with Law And Order...

to be pabulous = to be sober

11 Oct 2010     

epit
Turkey

hi,ituska gives the true meaning .I know "paboulus " with the same meaning .But we have pabulous in Turkish,too and we use it for the loose ballet shoes .Pab is abb. for pabu� (it means shoe in  Turkish )loose means not tight in English .So it comes fromTurkish and it is used  loose ballet shoe in English.Hugs

11 Oct 2010     

SueThom
United States

Pablum is a sort of infant torture:  it �s feeding the poor little things a sort of cereal-like substance that has essentially no flavor and the consistency of glue.

The suffix -ous means that something has the qualities of or is like or full of  whatever the base word is, e.g. poison/poisonous, humor/humorous

So, it �s an adjective used to describe a tasteless, unappetizing food.

For example, two people leaving a dinner party: 
A - "What an awful meal!"
B - "I agree.  It was really pabulous!"

11 Oct 2010     

NanG
Argentina

Hi Everyone!

May I join in? =)

I think that Pab stands for Personal Address Book.

And I agree with SueThom when she says that "The suffix -ous means that something has the qualities of or is like or full of whatever the base word is" .

So... I think that
Pabulous is an adjective used to describe someone who is very popular,  knows a lot of people or is in contact with a lot of people!

For example: She �s a pabulous executive.

11 Oct 2010