Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > the + comparative adj or adv, the + comparative adj or adv    

the + comparative adj or adv, the + comparative adj or adv

a.majewska
Poland

the + comparative adj or adv, the + comparative adj or adv

Dear teachers,

I don �t quite understand the way the construction the+comparative adjective/adverb, the+comparative adjective/adverb works. Have a look at these sentences:

1. The longer you work, the more tired you are. (longer - irregular adv?, more tired - adj)
2. The bigger, the better. (bigger and better - adj)
3. The more slowly you read, the longer it takes to finish the book. (more slowly -   adv, longer - irregular adv?)
4. The quicker you finish your homework, the faster you will go out. (quicker? - regular adv!!!, faster - irregular adv)

Why can �t I say in sentence no. 4 "The more quickly you finish, the faster you �ll go out"? After all, the first comparative form is of an adverb, isn �t it?
quick (adj) - quicker (comparative adjective)
quickly (adv) - more quickly (comparative adverb)

It �s so confusing! Can anyone help?

Thanks Wacko

12 Oct 2010      

dawnmain
United Kingdom

I would say that you certainly CAN say the more quickly you finish.  Why do you think you can �t?

I uploaded a worksheet for this if you are interested.

12 Oct 2010     

yanogator
United States

To expand dawnmain �s answer, you definitely can say it, but in informal, spoken English (at least in the US), we wouldn �t. It sounds very formal.

Also, on #4, I would say "the sooner you will go out", since it �s not the speed of the exit, but the time until the exit.

Bruce

12 Oct 2010     

a.majewska
Poland

Thanks, guys! I have found that sentence in one of the New English File assessment tests, and the answer in the answer key was "quicker", not "more quickly". Thanks again for your help :)))

13 Oct 2010