Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Correcting Errors    

Correcting Errors

valfairyrose
Uruguay

Correcting Errors

Hi friends!

I have a question for you. How and when do you prefer to correct errors?

I mean, how do you think is the most effective way to correct errors/mistakes?

Thanks in advance!
Thumbs Up
Huge Hugs
Val

14 Oct 2010      

douglas
United States

It depends heavily on the student and the situation.  If the student is on a roll I wait so they don �t lose their train of thought.  In other cases I correct them as they are speaking. 

It �s important to realize that I teach small groups (2-7 students) and a big part of class time is spent having the students speak about themselves or their weekend or opinion on something, etc..

Douglas

14 Oct 2010     

Disappointed
United Kingdom

I agree with Douglas � answer but you can also chose a certain point to correct each time you mark your students work so that you don �t dash their confidence all at once or give them too many red marks.  As that can be a sure fire way to make them turn off completely or even worse, clamp up altogether.

Another way is to make a note of their mistakes during a lesson or a number of lessons - making a list of them as you do.  Then when you have a spare ten minutes or so cover these points with the class as a whole so that everyone benefits from them.

Hope that helps in some way! 

14 Oct 2010     

[email protected]
Colombia

I think that correcting mistakes could be a very difficult task for teachers, because you may don �t want that your studets feel frustrated, so for me the best thing to do at the time of correcting errors are  next:

1. At the end of the students � speech, and you have to do it with care, you may repeat what the student said, but in the correct way.

2. By making pages with each students � name, and write their errors, then you can give it to him/her.

I hope it helps you.

14 Oct 2010     

class centre
Belarus

when I check up their test - I say - you have 3 mistakes ( for bigger ones) or put a cross at the wrong sentence ( for my littles ones). Then they are to take their time and find the mistakes.
When we are to check up their dictation for spelling I give them the model after the list has been dictated to the sts and he or she independently looks for the mistakes.
When they speak I don �t interrupt them unless I undestand their idea. Only in some very important places...
Hope it helps

14 Oct 2010     

el_profe55
Argentina

it depens on the mistake and in which points you want to focus your attention. imagine this sitation your SS are dealing with THE FAMILY and one of your  SS write this sentence:

Mi moter is thirti year old..... what are you supposed to correct?

i think that in this kind of situations you shoud focus your attention just on the word MOTHER otherwise if they found that in a sentence there are more corrections than words will be so frustrating for them.

in the case of an speaking activity I wait till they finished, but sometimes I make some quotations like 
S SAY: WE HAVE 8 years old"
I CORRECT:  " aaaaaah, yes we ARE 8 years old"

hope it helps ;)

14 Oct 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

At an amazing workshop I �ve attended, the two MOST IMPORTANT things I �ve learned about CORRECTING students oral speech were:

NEVER REPEAT THE ERROR:

When a student makes a mistake, point out somehow the mistake, but do NOT repeat the mistake yourself. (it would be reinforcing the mistake)

NEVER GIVE THEM THE RIGHT ANSWER YOURSELF:

Always show the path for the student to remember he knows the right way, but do not give it to them on a silver plate, that doesn �t help them having the important stress of searching their minds for what they already know (but still make mistakes at times).

Hope it helps somehow.

Wink

14 Oct 2010