Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the day - WINNER    

Word of the day - WINNER

moravc
Czech Republic

Word of the day - WINNER

Hello,
Thanks a lot for your definitions. Many of you knew the right meaning but played with both words very nicely :-D
I am off to bed now, so I give the winner a bit more time to pick a new word of the day...

The winner is  ELODIE ! She managed to put both definitions in one funny story-definition. Congrats!

ELOJOLIE274

defenestrate = we have the same word in French, the French word "fen�tre" means window, so here �s my definition

"ding! yeah, i �ve got an email, let �s open it! pop! Oh noooooooo, it was a virus, what have I done... windows crashed... well there �s only one thing left to do... swoosh.... bang! What the hell happened? Where �s our computer? Windows crashed so I threw it out of the window! slap!"

-----------------------------------------------------------

Wikipedia definitions:
Defenestrate means to throw somebody/something out of the window. Defenestration is the act of throwing someone or something out of a window. The term "defenestration" was coined around the time of an incident in Prague Castle in the year 1618. The word comes from the Latin de- (from) and fenestra (window or opening).

Onomatopoeia is a word that imitates or suggests the source of the sound that it describes, eg animal noises, such as "oink" or "meow" or "roar".

15 Oct 2010