Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > How are you celebrating Halloween with your students?    

How are you celebrating Halloween with your students?

Sara26
Brazil

How are you celebrating Halloween with your students?

Hello eveyone!

How about sharing our favorite activities for Halloween?
I usually decorate the classroom with plastic pumpkins, spiders, bats and ghosts; I buy lollipops that paint the tongue blue, but to get them my students have to take a trick from the trick-or-treat bag, such as "do 10 jumping jacks", "sing a song in English", "dance Macarena", and so on ... We have lots of fun!
So, what about you?

16 Oct 2010      

July-the-strange
Belgium

Hello,

Generally, I just do some activities (quiz, poem about witches, ...)

But your ideas with the lollipop and the funny activities are just GREAT,

Could you share your tricks (10 jumping jacks, ....) on a word doc ?
So we can have many ideas and it could be really interesting!

Thanks a lot!

16 Oct 2010     

libertybelle
United States

I hang decorations and make lots of worksheets and boardgames.
We work with vocabulary often by playing  a halloween memory game - and we make/write spooky stories.
(all my Halloween stuff is also uploaded here at ESL - just so you know. No link added because that would be advertising)

I end the Halloween theme by showing my favorite Halloween film
Hocus Pocus
(I never show horror films to my students -it �s not our job to give children nightmares)
Hocus Pocus or Caspar the Ghost are two wonderful Halloween films
for kids from ages 12 and up.

You can also try making pumpkin pie!

Happy Halloween
L

16 Oct 2010     

COLOMBO
Russian Federation

We �re gonna have a Halloween party in the classroom.�Party

16 Oct 2010     

Errie
Japan

Have you tried pumpkin bowling already?. My students love it. I bet they gonna ask for it again.

16 Oct 2010     

Mariethe House
France

I �ll join you in the macarena sara!

As I am not teaching anymore I will celebrate Halloween with my princess: Make her a witch costume . I will also make a Halloween story book ( see my last ws if interested)with her and her little group of friends. I will make jack o lantern cookies( here too on esl)and we �ll decorate the room with garlands, black cats, skeleton silhouettes she will cut out from templates I have!
And we �ll probabky playgames like :pass the pumpkin, dress the mummy,and have a monster dance and to finish something quieter like a Halloween pictionary!
So , altogether, lots of fun!

Have a good Halloween time Sara with your pupils!

16 Oct 2010     

Sara26
Brazil

Thank youuu for all your answers!! July-the-strange: I �ll make a list of my "tricks" and let you know when it �s ready! Marieeethe: sooo many activities ... phew ... I �ll download your story, for sure!

Have a great weekend!

16 Oct 2010     

Master74
Colombia

Hi people, I �m new to the site, so please, bear with me (and be kind)  :)

You see, I work at a University and my students are mostly young adults who are learning English as a foreign language. I myself am a big fan of Halloween and I �d love to celebrate it with my students... Got any ideas for this kind of "audience"? (something that is not too childish).

Thanks in advance  ;)

17 Oct 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Since my students are adolescents and adults (I don �t teach children anymore) we �re planning on having a horror movies session. Most of my students like the genre and think they are kind of fun (especially the "trash" ones).

In fact I won �t play whole movies - only the main and scary parts - just to make the most of the Halloween atmosphere. On the following day I �ll give the classes a worksheet to pratice some vocabulary & grammar topics, and to develop their comprehension and writing skills while reporting what they watched and what they liked the most.

17 Oct 2010     

Master74
Colombia

That �s such a great idea! I already started to pick some horror classics:

House (1986)
Day of the Dead (1985)
The Fog (1980)

I think this is a good way to expose learners to authentic material in a very fun way.

Happy Halloween!

17 Oct 2010