Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > "Word of the Day" APRICATE     

"Word of the Day" APRICATE

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

"Word of the Day" APRICATE

�Apricate�

This is today�s �Word of the Day�: is it a noun, verb, adjective, adverb, or what?

Try to define its meaning in the wittiest, most comical, or most stupid way.  If you know what it means, don�t tell us, please, but give us a daft definition of it, instead.

The Member with the best definition will go on and choose tomorrow�s Word.  

Remember, NO INTERNET, NO DICTIONARIES � just ideas from your head.

The Word is �Apricate�.

Good Luck!

Les

17 Oct 2010      

moravc
Czech Republic

Apricate is a verb. We all know the noun "apricot" and the lovely colour the apricots are...
So "to apricate" means to paint (a wall) with apricot pinkish-orange colour...
Many painters in central Europe apricate the dining rooms, because this colour is supposed to help the digestive system... Well to make it short "to apricate" means "to make/paint it with yummy colour."
and now excuse me, I am doing an excursion in my fridge :-D

17 Oct 2010     

cauffeepot
Benin

apricate-apricot+appreciate. It means to appreciate apricots, so today must be Apricot Appreciation Day.

17 Oct 2010     

cauffeepot
Benin

January 9 is National Apricot Day.  No, I did not make this up.

17 Oct 2010     

meuge
Argentina

mmmm I �m sure it is a noun...  It is an apricot that has just been eaten... LOL  Moravc you will only find  and apricate, I took the last one from your fridge, and It was delicious!!!

17 Oct 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

Sounds like the opposite of depricate so I would say it is a verb meaning to build something up.  That �s not so interesting except the word was first used by Kate Winslet when someone suggested she was playing a supporting role to Leonardo DeCaprio in the film Titanic. Her response was "Apricate". Meaning that everyone should appreciate the talents of Kate Winslet.

17 Oct 2010     

ikebana
France

sounds like a cat who has turned into a apricot after eating too many of them

17 Oct 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

Taking off that apron for once and for all (with much adoo!!)

(after having spent the entire afternoon in the kitchen just to be told by your kids that they do not like the food. Usually accompanied by statements such as; "You think you can do it better, you do it!" or "This is your way of thanking me for slaving for you every day? not again, from now on, we �ll order pizza every day or get your dad to cook! I �m done!")

I apricate approximately twice a month, only to be reinstated to the job again the next day, by lack of other candidates...

17 Oct 2010     

mariannina
Italy

I go on with my multicultural words:

Apri= Italian for open, please
Cate= short for Catherine (English)

It �s a request to a member of the family to open the fridge door when you hold some cooked food in your hands.

"Open, Cate, please!"  In Italian: "Apri, Cate(rina)"!

Wacko

17 Oct 2010     

priorita
Ukraine

To squash the apricot onto something - on a slice of bread or somebody �s face (when there are no tomatoes or eggs around).

17 Oct 2010     

kodora
Greece

So simple!To pick apricots.
Look at those apricots in the back yard.Do you think they are ripe enough to apricate them?
Have a nice Sunday everyone!
Dora

17 Oct 2010     

1    2    Next >