Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Word of the Day "APRICATE", 2nd Shift    

Word of the Day "APRICATE", 2nd Shift

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Word of the Day "APRICATE", 2nd Shift

�Apricate�

This is today�s �Word of the Day� for the Second Shift.  Is this Word a noun, verb, adjective, adverb, or what?

We�ve had some fun with the answers so far.  Here is a link to the replies from the First Shift.

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=23384

Come on!  Join in and let�s hear from your part of the world!  Try to define its meaning in the wittiest, most comical, or most stupid way.  If you know what it means, don�t tell us, please, but give us a daft definition of it, instead.

The Member with the best definition will go on and choose tomorrow�s Word.  The Winner will be announced at Midnight, Spanish Time.  

Remember, NO INTERNET, NO DICTIONARIES � just ideas from your head!

The Word is �Apricate�.

Good Luck!

Les

17 Oct 2010      

almaz
United Kingdom

In phonetics, an apricate is an affricate which is bursting for the toilet. So instead of the stern injunction �Watch it!�, what you hear is the pathetically confused �Wossit?�.

17 Oct 2010     

kmochniak
Poland

For me it means to applicate the apricot straight into your mouth (i.e. put the fruit in one �s oral cavity):):):):):):):):):):)

17 Oct 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

some kind of abreviation:apricate
apricots I hate
apricots I ate
a prick (not slang Embarrassed) that made me suffocate (when sewing)
appreciate (in texting)
approve to confiscate (among cops)
approach and defecate (instruction in the toilet of secret services)
appearances that cause to mate
You see, it all depends on the context. It �s a multifaceted term, really.
Sophia

17 Oct 2010     

blizzard1
Denmark

APRICATE

It �s the nickname for a person whose name is Cate/Kate and was born in the month of April ;)

17 Oct 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

ueslteacher Clap

18 Oct 2010     

douglas
United States

With the traditional American Halloween just around the corner, I feel this word is very fitting.  Traditionally, in America if one goes trick or treating at a house and receives no treat that house is subjected to a trick.  This trick quite often involves donnng the house with eggs (preferably rotten) and toilet paper.

As we all know, traditions change as they are imported to other countries and cultures.  Often these differences are based on the conditions at the new location.  This is how we come upon the word apricate.

In a small rural area of a miniscule country whose name is hardly worth mentioning a "world traveller" went tot he USA and experienced Halloween first-hand.  He was so enamored by the idea that he brought it home to his miniscule land.  In this land chickens are worshipped so the thought of throwing eggs was appalling.  Because they are of similar size and weight, they are quite abundant in this land, and they have a similarly terrible stench when rotten, the young man subsituted the eggs for apricots.  They young rapscalions of the town loved th eidea and to this day in our small far-off land apricating houses is a time-honored tradition.

"Hey Joey, let �s go apricate ole man Geezer �s house, he �s not giving out candy this year."

18 Oct 2010