Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > POLL Question(s) - That īs too bad.    

POLL Question(s) - That īs too bad.

foreverjinxed
South Africa

POLL Question(s) - That īs too bad.

Hi there
I have another poll question.
In my school syllabus, students are taught the following dialog in several lessons:

A: Let īs play soccer.
B: Sorry, I cant. I īm sick.
A: That īs too bad.

I have a problem with responding with "That īs too bad." if someone tells me they īre sick. I grew up learning to say "I īm sorry to hear that." or "I hope you feel better soon." etc if someone says they īre sick.

I think that the use of "That īs too bad." in the following dialog would be OK:

A: Let īs play soccer.
B: Sorry, I can īt. I have to do my homework.
A: That īs too bad.

Growing up in South Africa, in a British English speaking school and household, I rarely used the expression "That īs too bad." so I wonder if it īs used more commonly in the US.

So, my questions are:

For those who grew up in English speaking countries:

~ What do you, personally, say to someone who says they īre sick?
~ Do you ever say "That īs too bad." in response to some kind of bad news?
~ Do you ever, personally, use the expression "That īs too bad."? When?
~ Do you know people who use the expression "That īs too bad." often? Where do they come from?

For everyone:
~ How do you feel about responding with "That īs too bad." to someone īs bad news, or ill health?

Can īt wait for replies ^_^

18 Oct 2010      

GIOVANNI
Canada

In North American I have often heard people say "That īs too bad, sorry to hear that........ "  when they hear about bad news.

18 Oct 2010     

debk2000
United States

Hi!

I īm from the U.S. (Pennsylvania).  If someone is sick, I wouldn īt say, "That īs too bad."  I would say the same as you suggested:  "Sorry to hear that" or "I hope you feel better soon."  If someone says, "That īs too bad," to me when I īm sick, I would think itīs a little apathetic sounding.  I would use it, however, in the way you previously suggested.

My examples:

A:  Do you want to go watch a movie tomorrow?
B:  Sorry, I have to work.
A:  That īs too bad!

A:  Do you want to go watch a movie tomorrow?
B:  Oh, I can īt.  I īm not feeling well.
A:  Sorry to hear that.  Hope you feel better soon!

Smile

18 Oct 2010     

SueThom
United States

Ditto debk2000

18 Oct 2010     

Sonn
Russian Federation

too bad means What a pity! or Sorry to hear that.

18 Oct 2010     

Zora
Canada

Hi there,

I would use, "that īs too bad" but with a little difference. I īd say, "Aww, that īs too bad." making sure there was the proper affliction in my voice; if I were responding to a health question that didn īt allow somebody to do something with me. Or quite simply, if I thought it was a bummer that that person couldn īt participate in something for some reason.

Now, if the conversation was something serious I would not use it. for example: if someone was in hospital for some reason, if somebody had cancer, if somebody had a heart attack or some incurable disease or if there is a death in the family... then, I probably say that "I īm sorry to hear that" or something similar. 

18 Oct 2010     

douglas
United States

Ditto Linda (Zora)

18 Oct 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

I would probably say "That īs no good".

Downunder we use the expression "not bad" a lot to mean "so so" or "average" or "I īm feeling okay"
Hi, How are you?
Not bad.

How was the movie?
Not bad.

What do you think of Brad Pitt?
Heīs not bad.
 Cheers Joy

18 Oct 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Thatīs right Joy - thatīs exactly how Aussies use these expressions.  Most people use īthatīs no good�. 

I canīt say that Iīve heard people say īthatīs too bad� in recent times. It is understood but generally not used anymore.

Cheers

Jayho

18 Oct 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

I īve used and heard "That īs too bad" or "Im sorry to hear that." Ed

18 Oct 2010