Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > language stuff    

language stuff

foreverjinxed
South Africa

language stuff

Hi lovely people
I need some opinions...

1. Is there an actual grammatical error with this sentence:

His height is tall.

Of course I know that we usually say: He is 8 foot. or He is tall, etc. but if there �s an error with the above, what is it?

2. What do you think of these sentences, when can we use them instead of the versions further below? To me, these sentences sound like filling in a form, and they sound clumsy.

Do you have a wife?
What is your age? My age is 27.
The smell is good.
The taste is good.

of course I know that we usually ask and say: Are you married? How old are you? I �m 27. It smells good. It tastes good, but is there any instance when we should rather use the versions above?

Thank for your thoughts! ^_^

19 Oct 2010      

mish.cz
Czech Republic

Hello Foreverjinxed,

to me, the first sentence sounds really strange. The person can be tall, not his height, I probably wouldn �t put these two words together like that.�

In the second cases - I only see a slight meaning shift in the two last sentences, it seems to me that when saying "The smell is good" a person would mean that it is alright (not annoying or too strong or things like that) rather then that they like it. But it is just my guess.

Have a nice day. Mish

19 Oct 2010     

Dyana13
Romania

hight in my opinion can be small. medium or big, not tall. it seems weird to say the hight is tall

19 Oct 2010     

gaudetl
United States

For the first one, you cannot say "His height is tall." because tall is not a height.  Thats like saying "His age is old".

The second one "Do you have a wife?" is fine.  but I cannot think of a single instance where "What is your age?" or "My age is 27"  would be ok.

The other two may be ok if you �re asking someone to critique your dinner or something but I wouldn �t rather say them.

Hope this helped!

19 Oct 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

1. He is tall.

2. Do you have a wife? -> rather unusual but okay

What is your age? -> grammatically correct, but not many would use this in real life (apart from perhaps some stuffy old clerk manning a window at the Ministry of Funny Walks)

The smell is good, pungent, sweet, fruity, musky etc.
The taste is good, acidic, peaty, smoky etc.
I associate these sentences more with reviews of fine wines, whiskies or perfumes (usually smell only) than colloquial language.

19 Oct 2010     

Zora
Canada

Height is usually used as a unit of measurement. i.e. The height of the building is 25 metres. / The average height of a person is 5 feet 8 inches. / Planes fly at a height of 25,000 feet above sea level.

19 Oct 2010