Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > WORD OF THE DAY, Tuesday    

WORD OF THE DAY, Tuesday

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

WORD OF THE DAY, Tuesday

�bonnyclabber�

Once again, I�m sorry for the late submission, but the WINNER hasn�t replied to my Private Message and submitted a new �Word�

�Bonnyclabber� is Tuesday�s �Word�.  What do you think that it means?

Try to define its meaning in the wittiest, most comical, or most stupid way.  If you know what it means, don�t tell us, please, but give us a silly definition of it, instead.

Remember, NO INTERNET, NO DICTIONARY DEFINITIONS � just ideas from your head!

The Member announced with the best definition WILL CHOOSE TOMORROW�S WORD.  (If you don�t want to choose a Word, let the Forum know, please.)

The Winner can find LOTS of STRANGE English words on:

http://phrontistery.info/c.html

The Winner will be announced at Midnight, Spanish Time.

Tuesday�s Word is �bonnyclabber�.

Good Luck!

Les

19 Oct 2010      

stexstme
France

Bonnie & Clide B had a sexual affair ...........( which is baaaaaaaad) People started calling them : Bonny & Clab.
A bonnyclabber is a Bonny & Clab fan.Approve
edit : BTW, Les, when I won the game ( I did!!! ), I pmed the winner & gave her a link Frank gave us some time ago - so that she could find �her� word of the day... Otherwise - when not a native speaker - it might be too difficult ( Well, it would be , for little me ;o)))

19 Oct 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Ha ha Stexstme - that�s hilarious.

Actually, bonnyclabber is what you find in your cranny bobble.  Now what is a cranny bobble I hear you ask.  Well folks, it�s the little area in that cranny where things hide.  No doubt you�ve heard of nook and cranny (check here ).  Well that little area in each has a name; bibble and bobble.  A nook bibble and a cranny bobble.

Surprisingly enough, cranny bobble is also an anagram of bonnyclabber, but that�s all part of the pun [fun] & games that we enjoy here.

Cheers

Jayho

19 Oct 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

I didn �t know there was a "list" for the word of the day... when I won Moravc didn �t say anything about this link, so when Les won I didn �t tell him anything about that... but when you win it �s pretty easy to find a word when you know where to look for in google...

Les, maybe you should just include "if you don �t want to choose tomorrow �s word, let me know"!

take care!

19 Oct 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

As everyon knows" bonny" means girl or woman as in: My Bonny lies over the ocean. A clabber or clapper is a device used to make electrical equipment turn on. Therefore a bonnyclabber is a device used to turn women on. Hey I didn �t choose the word.

19 Oct 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

I always thought this was a made-up word - invented by my grandfather (the auld fraud!). 

When we were kids and spent our holidays at the grandparents �, we �d pass as much daylight time as possible playing football in the gigantic mudbath the locals laughingly called a football pitch. Now, my grannie was a demon for the cleaning and when we finally dragged our manky little carcasses up the garden path, she �d be standing there, gripping a huge bucket of water threateningly. 
"Ye �re no � comin � in here covered in clabber an � glaur!", she �d say.
Well, my grandfather - whose own grandfather once played for Scotland long before the invention of showers and communal baths - would shout through a fug of pipe-smoke, "Haud yer wheesht, wumman. It micht be clabber, but it �s bonny clabber!"

From then on, he applied it to anything which annoyed my grannie, such as the television: "Whit a bonnyclabber invention thon is!"

19 Oct 2010     

sophie85
France

The first thing I thought about was that it could mean "bony clubber", so, a really thin person who enjoys dancing, only said with a strange accent Smile

19 Oct 2010