Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > How to motivate students using irregular verbs?    

How to motivate students using irregular verbs?

Takenori
Chile

How to motivate students using irregular verbs?

Hi everyone! I have been working with my students irregular verbs. As motivation, we played the hanged man and mimics. Now I have a new class and I need your help please. I would like to know any other idea to make the motivation using irregular verbs.
I will appreciate your support and creative ideas.
Thanks in advance

=)

20 Oct 2010      

regina. di
Brazil

Well, you can play other games, too. You just need to get some cards with the verbs. You can play concentrantion game, where students have to find the matching pairs (infinitive and past). You can spread cards around the room or outside and shout a verb they have to touch.
Hope the ideas are useful for your group!

20 Oct 2010     

carinita
Argentina

Dominoe pieces. Instead of "numbers" the pieces will have "verbs" on them  SS will have to match a present form to its past form You can give one piece every two students You can make the pieces on paper so that students stick their pieces on the board Hope it works =)
Regards,
P.S. There�s a dominoe among your contributions Embarrassed Then, sudoku may work as well

20 Oct 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

Unhappy I �m sorry this post is so long, but I think it �s very useful to you, Takenori. Please read it through. Other teachers interested in a different classroom game should also read closely. 

Another idea for a game is what I call the Sentence game. The best part is that is almost NO PREP! Divide the class into 3 or 4 teams (maybe even 2 for a small class). Give one student from each team a marker or piece of chalk. Tell them a subject, a verb, and a verb tense. The students at the board have to write a sentence using that subject, verb, and verb tense. I usually give the students 3 minutes to write their sentences. (You might adjust this depending on the level of your class.) 

I allow the other students to help, provided that they speak (the only students writing are at the board), speak only English (I take points off if I hear the native language), and that the teammates don �t go to the board.

I give 1 point for every English word, 1 point for a correct subject, 1 point for a correct verb, and 1 point if the verb is in the correct tense. I give 5 extra points for a perfect sentence. You might count only correctly spelled words, but I like to encourage students to express themselves in English more than I care for perfect spelling. Of course, the students must take turns, the weak as well as the strong. I usually give the members of the winning team small prizes, but if you give grades, you might give extra credit, tell them they can skip an assignment, or give a class privilege. 

Here �s an example: the subject is one man or boy, the verb is have, the tense is simple past. One student writes: "Mr. Sanchez, he had a nu car but was in accidente. Now car is no good." I count this as 17 points: 15 words in English (accidente doesn �t count because that �s Spanish, not English), correct verb, and correct tense. The student doesn �t get the point for correct subject, because in English, it isn �t correct to use  a name and pronoun together as a subject. I would give the point for "Mr. Sanchez had..." or "He had..." but not together. You might count off for "nu" instead of "new," but I don �t. The student also needs "an" in front of accident and "the" in "Now THE car is no good." I just point these mistakes out but don �t penalize. 

My students are adults, but they still enjoy this game a lot. Children and teenagers would probably enjoy it even more. Your classroom might get very noisy, so you might want to be sure your next-door teacher isn �t giving a test.

It �s also easy to adapt the game to practice other grammar you �re working on. I �ve also done prepositions or frequency adverbs instead of the verb tense. You might even tell them the sentence has to be a question or in the negative. 

Thanks for your patience. I hope this idea works for you.

20 Oct 2010     

Takenori
Chile

regina. di

carinita

MoodyMoody

Thanks for taking your time!!! I REALLY APPRECIATED WHAT YOU �VE DONE!!!
Each one of you have given me new ideas! Domino game is incredible I haven`t used yet, but I will!.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

20 Oct 2010     

Takenori
Chile

regina. di

carinita

MoodyMoody

Thanks for taking your time!!! I REALLY APPRECIATED WHAT YOU �VE DONE!!!
Each one of you have given me new ideas! Domino game is incredible I haven`t used yet, but I will!.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

20 Oct 2010     

teacherbri
Thailand

Tic- Tac - Toe/ Nots and Crosses? works well
divide the class into teams.  In the tic-tac-toe grid place the present tense a rep. from the team must come up and write the past  underneath. If the answer is correct they get to put their mark (X or O) if not no mark and the other team gets to play! My classes love this game I use it for all types of review.

20 Oct 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Hi, Takenori! :))

I have uploaded a nice speaking game on irregular verbs. If you let me have your email address by PM, I can send it to you.

Have a nice day - Silke

20 Oct 2010     

tordavica
Hungary

Hi!

Can you pls help me!
Can you pls downlad my files?
Thank you!

Regards,

Vik

22 Oct 2010