Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Dwarfs or dwarves    

Dwarfs or dwarves

ynroko1
Slovenia

Dwarfs or dwarves

Hi.
We are reading Snow white and 7 dwarfs by Dysney with my students.
But I wonder which is correct plural: dwarfs or dwarves?
Which is the best plural form to use in teaching young children?
Thank you for the answers in advance.

Have a nice weekend.
Y.

22 Oct 2010      

MoodyMoody
United States

ynroko1, you �re in luck! Both plurals are correct. As for which one to teach, it depends on different factors. If you also plan to show the movie, I believe Disney used "dwarves." Of course, "dwarfs" is more regular and easier. However, if you are teaching f and fe plurals, "dwarves" is another to add to your list.

22 Oct 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

It depends on how short they are.... Only kidding...both are acceptable.

22 Oct 2010     

yanogator
United States

Because "dwarves" follows the pattern of knives, lives, leaves, etc, I recommend "dwarves". As Ed said, however, both are acceptable. As you said, Disney used "dwarfs", but it definitely isn �t as common (Maybe it was in 1939).

Bruce

22 Oct 2010     

sulekra
Australia

Both can be used, though I myself only ever use dwarves. I �ve heard before that Tolkien invented dwarves to match elves, though I �m not sure if that �s true or just an urban legend...Confused

22 Oct 2010     

libertybelle
United States

I learned that dwarfs like roofs were irregular - and therefore they don �t become plural with the ves ending.

22 Oct 2010     

uaeeye2
United Arab Emirates

NOUNS that end in F or FE          change the F to V and receive ES               for the plural:

elf - elves

knife � knives

leaf � leaves

life � lives

There are a few exceptions to this rule:

roof � roofs

handkerchief � handkerchiefs

Both forms of plural, with FS or VES are accepted in the case of the nouns:

dwarf, hoof, scarf, wharf.

22 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

ynroko1,

Here is a list of the most common words.

scarf scarves; turf turves; wharf wharves; calf calves; life lives; wife wives; half halves; loaf loaves; wolf wolves; knife knives; shelf shelves; leaf leaves; elf elves; self selves; sheaf sheaves; roof rooves; chief chieves; handkerchief handkerchieveshoof hooves; thief thieves; dwarf dwarves

I think that I can say that I have never heard scarfs; turfs; wharfs; calfs; lifes; wifes; loafs; wolfs; knifes; leafs; elfs; selfs; thiefs --- only those words underlined: halfs; shelfs; sheafs; roofs; chiefs; handkerchiefs; hoofs; dwarfs.

The following, (and there are more), do not take �v�: oaf oafs; proof proofs; belief beliefs; chef chefs; gulf gulfs; muff muffs; reef reefs; serf serfs; toff toffs; waif waifs. 

This is my experience, but others will differ in their opinion.

I would teach the �f � into �v � rule, but indicate that not everyone follows the rules.

The probability is that, in 50 years time, the �rule � will disappear.

Les

22 Oct 2010     

mourad1O
Morocco

For me, it �s better to use dwarves than dwarfs which had a negative connotation in the past. It also goes with the rule of forming plural nouns ending with "f". Later the learners will come across the other form.
good luck

23 Oct 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Sulekra...you gotta stop using dwarves specially w/o their permission.

23 Oct 2010     

sulekra
Australia

Don �t worry Edrod, my forge pays very well and they �re all union members;D

23 Oct 2010