Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > THANKS!!!    

THANKS!!!

Helen McK
Ireland

THANKS!!!

Thanks a million to those of you who left really nice comments re. my latest contribution reducing file size and improving your worksheets. 

I�m very chuffed now.Big smile

3 Dec 2008      

eng789
Israel

Is chuffed a new word?

3 Dec 2008     

blizzard1
Denmark

Hi eng789,

In the Merrian Webster dictionary I found the following informations about chuffed:
adjective
Etymology:
English dialect chuff pleased, puffed with fat
Date:
British : quite pleased : delighted

I personaly haven�t heard chuffed that often. I think it�s more used in Britain and in Ireland than in other English speaking countries.

3 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hmmm, I know the word  chuffed,

It is very english.

My kiwi friend (who lived in london for 5 years) uses it
As does an english cousin.

It is like saying

"I was really stoked!"
"I was really pleased"
"That was sweet as" or just "s_weeeeet"

Hope that is clear as mud.
Vicki

3 Dec 2008     

eng789
Israel

I�ve been living in Israel for too long I guess, because I have never heard the word before and Canadian English is my mother tongue.  I was there for 1 1/2 months during the summer and never heard it.

Language is a wonderful -  always expanding and changing thing.  Thanks for teaching me a new word.

"Okay now, Vicki,  where does "stoked"  come from and how come it means the same as "sweet"  which is slang/expression I am familiar with.  I know that "stokers" were the men who put coal in the furnaces on the Titanic and later they helped row the life boats -  but how did "stoked" become a positive expression?

Is that also a "downunder" expression?

3 Dec 2008     

bamarcia
Brazil

When I saw the word chuffed in the post, I decided to copy it into a file in which I save "new words". It�s a relief to know even  native speakers come across new words sometimes!!! Being a non-native English teacher is tough sometimes! By the way, I�ll check "downunder" and copy it as well as stoked into my file right now!!!
Better, I�ll save the complete posts!!! Thanks for them! ;)

Helen, you�ll get many more comments and downloads when your printable is available "free" tonight!!!

Regards from Brazil,

Marcia

3 Dec 2008