Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Using stories from "Stories for Reproduction" by L.Hill, published by Oxford University Press    

Using stories from "Stories for Reproduction" by L.Hill, published by Oxford University Press

eng789
Israel

Using stories from "Stories for Reproduction" by L.Hill, published by Oxford University Press

You aren�t allowed to copy pages from course books without the permission of the publisher.  I heard about  a teacher being fined $30.000 when she was caught.  But "Stories for Reproduction" are made for the purpose of copying so is there a problem with using the stories to create wss like past simple practice pages?  I ran across some pages in the site and was wondering what people think.
I appologize if this is an old topic that has been discussed already.

3 Dec 2008      

renca
Czech Republic

I have reported the author several times, but nothing happened. "The Stories for Reproduction" are meant for oral reproduction, not for copying. If some materials are photocopiable, there is a footnote saying "photocopiable" at the bottom of the page, and they are usually more expensive. Renata

3 Dec 2008     

eng789
Israel

Hi, Renata

reproduction = copy, imitation, duplicate     

which I am pretty sure means that "The Stories for Reproduction" are meant to be copied. 
 I�m not sure what you mean by oral reproduction.

3 Dec 2008     

renca
Czech Republic

Of course I am aware of the meaning of the word "reproduction", but what the author meant was not definitely copying on photocopier ( the first volume was published in 1975, when photocopiers were scarce), but retelling the stories. Here comes excerpt from "Amazon.com" - publisher�s review :
                                                                                                  Product Description
                                                                                                  Short anecdotes for oral or written retelling.

The book is, of course, protected by copyright, cost a couple of pounds and if you wanted to have a copy made in a copy center, you would have to pay more money for copying from a book than from a single sheet - or - from a resource book with the footnote Photocopiable.

All in all, the worksheets which can be found here, mostly brolman made loads of copies, should be deleated because copyright law was broken. I am pretty sure about that.

Regards

Renata

3 Dec 2008     

eng789
Israel

I have a copy of the book somewhere and now you�ve made me curious as to what it says on the jacket.

What does  " written retelling " mean anyway?  It sounds a lot like copying.

I have to say that  tonight has been very informative. 

Thanks for the feedback.

3 Dec 2008     

renca
Czech Republic

Hi, written retelling sounds a bit illogical, doesn�t it? But that is what it says on Amazon. If you find the book, let me know. I used to work with it a long time ago, and I used it for both reading, listening and finally retelling. And I did photocopies for my Ss, indeed.

Good night

Renata

3 Dec 2008     

renca
Czech Republic

Sorry, I made photocopies.

3 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi Renca,

You are always allowed to photocopy up to 10% of a document for personal use.

The aim of the book is for you to share it with your students - so I don�t think there is a problem with you photocopying pages.

Written retelling would work like this (In my opinion):

- You read the story to the class
- They retell the story to each other in pairs.
- Each child rewrites the story in their own words.

This is an extremely useful exercise for ESOL or first language.

I use to do it with funny stories.  It is a great listening comprehension and vocabularly development exercise

3 Dec 2008     

cheezels
New Zealand

hey I just looked up the user you mentioned and yes the pages are straight from the book. LOADS of them, all downloaded by hundreds of people. WOW. Surely this goes against everything this site stands for? Shouldn�t ALL of those printables be wiped and ALL of those points taken away???? Has anyone written to victor? He certainly did not create them himself.BECAUSE REGARDLESS of whether the book is copiable or not, THIS site you need to be original and MAKE your own worksheets. BOOOOO to that user.

3 Dec 2008     

marija2m
Croatia

this site is about creative ideas and sharing not copying a book and posting it online

3 Dec 2008