Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > CASIER-CASE?    

CASIER-CASE?

Lucia13
Armenia

CASIER-CASE?

HI EVERYONE,

IS IT CORRECT TO SAY
PUT AWAY YOUR BOOKS IN THE CASES(THE SPECIAL PLACE UNDER THE DESK OR AT THE BACK OF THE CLASSROOM WHERE THE STUDENTS PUT THE BOOKS THEY DON �T TAKE HOME)?

26 Oct 2010      

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Lucia 13,

A �Locker� is a small personal cupboard, which has a key to lock it.  You see lockers at the Swimming Baths; the Sports Centre; (to store the customers� clothes); and sometimes in schools, colleges, etc. (so that students can store books, etc).  The person has the key to his/her locker.  

If the students had lockers, in the classroom, or in the corridor, I would say:

"Put your books away in your Locker (Lockers), please!"

or, if the students had desks which opened and had storage space inside:

"Put your books away in your (Desk) Desks, please!"

or simply:

"Put your books away, please!"

I hope that this helps.

Les

26 Oct 2010     

Lucia13
Armenia

Thanks a lot Les for the thorough explanation but...

1. If I say Put away the books everyone will run to me asking in the bags or in the cases?

2. If I say Put away the books in the desks they will confuse it with on the desks bec I always tell them Put the books on the desks

:(What would you do if you were me?

26 Oct 2010     

miesies muis
Namibia

I always tell my students to put their books under their desks. Show them where you want them to put it. May bee find a picture and put a sentence strip underneath it. Telling and showing what they should do.

26 Oct 2010     

Lucia13
Armenia

There are classroom where the books are kept under the desks hem Put away the books under the desks but there are some where the books are kept at the end of the classroom in special open cupboards

26 Oct 2010     

izulia
China

�Put your books away in the cases � sounds a little strange to me. 

Children quickly learn the routine if it is well established in the classroom. Maybe couple of times you will need to show them the place for storing books that are not taken home and say �This is where we put the books after we finished our work. � After a short while you will only need to say �Put your books away. � (like Les suggested) and praise those who remembered where to put them without asking. In couple of weeks time there shouldn �t be any confusion.

Good luck :)

26 Oct 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Some of the classs I use have desks so I say put your books away in your (desk)desks.

In one of my classes we have shelves, so I say put your books away on the shelves.

26 Oct 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

How about: Put your books on the (book) shelf (ves). or Put your books on the bookcase (s).

26 Oct 2010     

Lucia13
Armenia

I guess I �ll choose

Put away your books under the desks
and
Put away your books on the bookcases

Thanks a lotttttttt

26 Oct 2010