Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Food and drink    

Food and drink

blunderbuster
Germany

Food and drink

Hi,

I was wondering if someone could explain to me why it is possible to say "food and drink" and not necessarily "food and drinks."

Thank you!

Regards

27 Oct 2010      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Thanks for bringing it up... never thought of it.
My guess the drink as well as the food in this expression means the notion in general not the different kinds of, i.e. we cannot survive without food and drink (not different kinds of drinks). Like fruit and fruits for example, the noun food can also be used in plural in other cases as in healthy foods.
Sophia
I hope I got it rightSmile

27 Oct 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

That is a nice explanantion, makes total sense. Thanks.

Hug

27 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Blunderbuster,

I was wondering if someone could explain to me why it is possible to say "food and drink" and not necessarily "food and drinks."

In the example that you quote, �food� and �drink� are �mass nouns�.  A mass noun is a noun whose individual parts are not thought of as separate entities.  Another name is �uncountable noun�, or �non-count noun�.  Other examples of uncountable nouns are �butter�, �smoke�, �money�, �music�, �information�.

An uncountable noun cannot be �counted� therefore it can have no plural.

Normally, you cannot say: �I have 2 butters.�  �I smell 3 smokes�.  �I possess 10 moneys�.

However, the discussions regarding uncountable and countable nouns are long and complicated, because, in some grammatical situations a noun can be uncountable, and in another situation it can be countable.  Moreover, what is countable in (for example) German is not necessarily countable in English.

�Music� is normally uncountable.

You would not normally say:  �The Information Desk has lots of InformationS and plays beautiful musicS�.

However, (just as an example), this sentence is acceptable.  �The music of Italy is quiet.  The music of Spain is loud.  The two musics are entirely different�.

You will occasionally see a printed notice for Dinner-Dance events:  �Food and Drink will be served in the Restaurant at 9 p.m.�

But I have frequently heard people say: �I�ll bring the Food, you bring the DrinkS�.  I think that, here, the individual is thinking of the Food as being a mass noun, not as separate items; but thinks of the Drinks as individual drinks � lemonade, whisky, beer, etc.

It is my opinion that, grammatically speaking, the phrase is �Food and Drink�, meaning the two substances that sustain life.

However, I think that many English people, in ordinary conversation say: �Food and Drinks�.

I hope that this helps.

Les

27 Oct 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Thank you, Les. Another wonderful answer!

Hug

27 Oct 2010