Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > A song for the theme house    

A song for the theme house

lidiab
Portugal

A song for the theme house

Hi!
I have to start saying that I love this site and give a big THANK YOU to all the peolple who have bothered to share their work.

Well, I would like to ask for your help...

I�m planning my lessons to start the theme: house (Prepositions of place...). I�m making an exercise to use with the interactive white board, I already have some ideas of how it�s going to be, but I need a song to go with it.

Can anyone give me an idea? (My Ss are about 14/15 years old but they have a lot of learning difficulties - they come from very troubled families)

4 Dec 2008      

Nelssa
Ukraine

You may try this one:

Animal House

There�s a kangaroo in my kitchen
There�s a hippo in my hall
There�s a dinosaur in my dining room
A hundred meters tall!

Refrain
My house is full of animals
I don�t know what to do
I think I�m going crazy -
I�m living in a zoo!

There�s a bison in my bathroom
There�s a beetle in my bed
There�s a tortoise in my toilet
With a hamster on his head!

Refrain

There�s a gopher in my garden
There�s a tiger in my tree
There�s a lion in my living room
He�s watching my TV!

Refrain

I think I�m going crazy �
I�m living in a zoo!

4 Dec 2008     

gicela
Argentina

Hello,

You can teach the house vocabulary by listening to a chant. First they listen to it and repeat, then they point to the parts in a poster or in flashcards sticked on the blackboard.

You can download the chant and the flashcards for free here: http://www.dreamenglish.com/chants/house

Chant 1 Vocabulary: a house, a closet, the garage, the yard, the kitchen, a bedroom, the stairs, the bathroom, the basement, the laundry room, the living room, the hallway, the office the dining room.

I have done it with my students and they enjoyed it.

I Hope it helps you.

Gicela

4 Dec 2008     

fletsch
Canada

Hey there:

If you are looking for a cool song about �house� I have used the video of "Our House" by the group Madness.  It�s a very fun song with an interesting video.  I have included the link here so you can go and get the lyrics as well as the youtube video.  I hope this may help you...

Fletsch

4 Dec 2008     

Twinkerbell
Portugal

Hi there!
I�ve already used the song "Our house", by Madness. Perhaps surprisingly, students tend to respond in a very positive way, even those who have tremendous difficulties in English. Tongue
Have a nice week :-)

4 Dec 2008     

eng789
Israel

Thanks Nelsa,  great song,

I�ve added a few more lines to make it a bit longer (more for learning about animals ).

There are monkeys and cats,

Frogs and rats,

Snakes and a cow

Oh, what am I going to do now.

There are horses and deer,

And dogs that bark.

Oh my, I�m living in Noah�s Ark.

I hope you don�t mind.

4 Dec 2008     

Nelssa
Ukraine

I don�t mind of course! Why should I? Thumbs Up
Some people wrote and asked about the music - here you will find the song. Enjoy!
http://www.britishcouncil.org/kids-songs-animal-house.htm

4 Dec 2008