Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > What īs the difference?    

What īs the difference?

rose95
Turkey

What īs the difference?

Can you clarify the difference of "a can" and "a tin", please?

28 Oct 2010      

sulekra
Australia

Both will refer to some container made of thin metal, and tin and can (or tin can) are synonyms where it comes to food products such as baked beans, vegetables, soups and so on... But for me, a can is always cylindrical. Like you can have a square tin, like for tobacco or jewellery or some kind of collection, but I would never call a square container a can...

28 Oct 2010     

kodora
Greece

I think that the following will help you:
http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/can_2
http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/tin_1

Dora

28 Oct 2010     

libertybelle
United States

In the USA we say would you hand me a can of beans off the shelf.
In the UK they say a tin of beans.

We also say tin cans - but rarely if they are filled with something, such as beans.
(a tin can of beans. This is not used very often)

28 Oct 2010     

Zora
Canada

I usually tell students"can" is normally used for both liquids (beer, juice, Coke) and food... and that "tin" is normally just for foods. 

28 Oct 2010     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

I thought that a can is used in USA
but
a tin is used in Britain

28 Oct 2010     

stexstme
France

If I get Linda ( Zora ) right :
Can ( liquid ) I have a tin ( solid ) of baked beans , please ? Wacko
Big smileSorry, Rose ;o) Not helping ;o))

28 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear rose95,

As others have said,  ītin � and īcan � are two different words for the same thing.  Which word you choose depends on where you live.

In the part of the UK where I live, most people use ītin �, and say "A tin of soup/beans/fruit/etc".

On television, I hear Americans using īcan �.

However, (I thnk that it is because of the influence of American television), many young people in the UK use the expression, "A can of Coke; a can of lager; etc", when referring to a a drink container.

Les 

28 Oct 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Les, do people in England use the expression "to get tinned" or is "get canned" only used in America?

Regards

P.S.: All of yesterday īs websites were non-German, even if found by Google Germany ;o)))

28 Oct 2010     

sulekra
Australia

Square tin sample
I mentioned before that I get the feeling they are synonyms except for square objects, so I īd like to ask the other native speakers if anyone would call something like this a can?

28 Oct 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Spam comes in can īs, doesn īt it?

28 Oct 2010     

1    2    Next >