Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help me , i ´m dying ,surviving with my Ss    

help me , i ´m dying ,surviving with my Ss

Bahrain
Bahrain

help me , i ´m dying ,surviving with my Ss

hello all,
according to the syllabus we have to follow , we have reading a story and then we have followed activities and exs but my Ss are very weak in english and reading . they can ´t even read one sentences as they are in 2nd intermediate . I try alot to do intersting activities and Exes but with any use, as i spend long time to make them nice as well effective. I need help.

28 Oct 2010      

stessenspaola
Argentina

the other day one of the teachers suggested a page about  literacy skills for children I checked and it ´s very useful: www.readingrockets.org. I hope it helps you.

28 Oct 2010     

donapeter
Romania

Tell me about it! I don ´t even use the textbooks as they are way too difficult for my ss. But I use a lot the Internet and my own paper and my own printer and, of course, my own (free - in other circumstances) time!!!!!

28 Oct 2010     

nombasa
South Africa

Hi
A couple of things that I would suggest.  Remember that in normal circumstances a child ´s concentration level is their age + or - 2, so a 6 year old can concentrate on average for between four and eight minutes.  If the child is working in a language other than his mother tongue then it is less.  This means that you must keep a quick pace to your lesson with several short activities.  Try to make the activities ones which involve the children in an active way rather than in a passive way.  Use visual prompts as well as the spoken word.  Use repetition that is fun.  Have quizzes.  If the children are following as you read make deliberate funny mistakes to see if they notice.  Make large copies and cover some words over with a paice of card and see if they can guess what the hidden words are.  Teach them songs.  Learning to read through song can be very effective.
Use picture cues for each word in a story.  I have a couple of such ideas on my worksheet list.  These help the children to become independent readers.  You can build up your vocabulary cards with each new story.
Read the story first to the children.  Then ask them all to read it together.  Then ask for volunteers to read it themselves.  Soon the children will have read the story several times and will have had a secure learning expereince.  Ask the children to think of a good question to ask the others about what they have read. 
I hope that some of these ideas will help.
Have fun!

28 Oct 2010     

Bahrain
Bahrain

thanks alllSmile

28 Oct 2010     

nombasa
South Africa

Dear Bahrain
If you wish send me a pm.  Keep in touch and let me know specific problems.  I run a school for children who are struggling in main stream  schools.  Most of the students do not have English as their mother tongue.  We use a lot of strategies to build them up.  One of the most rewarding things in life is watching them learn to ´fly �. 
A couple of questions:  how many are in the class and what is their behaviour like?
Hope your day goes well
Nombasa

29 Oct 2010