Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > New WORD OF THE DAY (Oct. 30 th)     

New WORD OF THE DAY (Oct. 30 th)

GIOVANNI
Canada

Anophistograph

ano = another
phist = fist
graph = writing

What an angry actor might say to the paparazzi.  I will give you you an anophistograph instead of autograph  if you don �t get out of my way. 

30 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

�anophistograph

Not everything comes from the Greek, Elderberrywine!

Not �Woad�, (a blue dye for the body used by the Celtic tribes as a very inexpensive uniform); not �fitba� (football), a game invented to avoid the extortionate fees charged by Leisure Centres); nor �the sandwich�, (a cheap, portable alternative to 3 hours spent in a Taverna - ταβέρνα).

These half-a-dozen examples indicate the fertile, forward-thinking, fecund minds of the Ancient Brits!

How?

You simply have to attend any modern sporting event and you will see all three --- football; sandwiches; and painted faces.

Need I say more?

These Rhetorical Questions and their Answers act as crumbs of knowledge to Members who try to satisfy the screaming waves of linguistic thirst experienced deep in their wandering hearts.  (I have deliberately introduced mixed similes here, in order to confuse the �baby swans� amongst you --- the cynics!)

Some Members find �Word of the Day� stupidly uninteresting!

To others, it is a light-hearted interlude, during the back-breaking, boring, dreary, difficult, frustrating, infuriating life surrounding �Teaching�, which ... in other respects ... is very enjoyable.

Everyone has different tastes.  As the French say: �Chacun a son go�t�,  or �Gout affects different people differently�.

To conclude: anophistograph is of Germanic origin.

You have all heard of the British academic qualification, Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy), Greek διδάκτωρ φιλοσοφίας, Latin philosophiae doctor, (�Doctor of the Love of Wisdom�).

But, how many of you have heard of a Ph.I ?  This is: �The love of I, ego, me� -narcissistic; egotistical; self-centred.

Anophistograph: �A no� = Norse, used to this day in Newcastle, �I know�; �PhI� = �self-centred�; �sto�, Greek στο = �on�; �graph� = German, �Graf�, a noble rank, (�count�).

�Anophistograph�

�You can count on people being self-centred ... I know!�

Les

PS. My name, Leslie Douglas, (Gaelic in origin), means �The Dark Pool by the Black Mountain�.

30 Oct 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

oh my, what a learned explication, I �m sure I �m way too stupid to understand ...

How admirably you even inserted a German count or duke ( Graf) into your explanation, just to please me, I �m sure - so good of you!

P.S. What has me worried, though, is that you call three examples half a dozen.... is that celtic counting??

30 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

No!  It �s an attempt at Tyneside humour!

There �s almost always someone in the audience who corrects the �mistake �.

Sorry, Elderberry!

Les

30 Oct 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Tyneside humour is formidable dear Black lake of the dark mountains.
Do you happen to know some of the weird language they speak by the side of the Tyne, ?
I did learn some phrases while i was there and remember the bright  laugh my Neocastlewegian(correct?) friends had when they heard me try to speak their language! Smile

By the way your �gout � joke is not bad!!Wink

30 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Mariethe House,

�Why aye, Man!  Ah divven knaa nee skyule wawds, like, burra dee knaa a lorra Geordie wawds, yi knaa worra mean!

Forst iv aal: divven gan plodging in the clarts, cos ye�ll varr nigh git ya claes dorty!

Ifn thi bus quoins aal wrang, keep tite ahad, cos it�ll dunsh, n ye�ll prably faal aff.

Divvent niver crowp ya kreels doon the Bankies ifn yer troosers is owld-n-worn-oot, oss ye�ll myek a fyule i yasell, n prably show yer bare bum ti ivryboddy, n aal!�

�Of course, Madam!  I don�t know any academic words, of course, but I do know a lot of Tyneside words, if you understand me.

First of all: don�t go paddling in the mud, because you will very likely cause your clothes to become dirty.

If the bus turns the corner badly, hold on tightly with your hands, because it will crash, and you are likely to fall to the ground.

Don�t ever perform cartwheels down the local hillside, if your trousers are very badly in need of repair, otherwise you will look a fool, and moreover, you will probably display your rear anatomy, naked, to the world!�

Les

30 Oct 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

---enough "words of the day" for the next ten months in that!! 

30 Oct 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Les!
Why aye man!!( I do remember that!) That �s so funny!! I love it! Thank you!

30 Oct 2010     

elderberrywine
Germany

Unfortunately, not many people participated in the search for a definition of 

anophistograph

First of all, here is what the word really means:

Anything that has writing on just one side of it (usually paper, but it can also be fabric that has print on one side only) 

I liked Giovanni�s short, simple explanation best and therefore declare him the winner.

31 Oct 2010     

< Previous   1    2