Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > A multiple choice question...    

A multiple choice question...

azuree
Turkey

A multiple choice question...

Hi everyone! While teaching, I came across a question. I want you to have a look at it, please.

A: Mrs. Parkinson ...............three accidents in the last month.
B: She.......................a very careful driver, then.
A: Couldn �t it have been just bad luck?

a)was having/can �t be        b) has /shouldn �t be       c) has had/ must not be
d) is having/wasn �t             e) used to have/isn �t

I think the answer is" c". But is it correct to use present prefect tense with a past tense expression like last month? I don �t know how to explain this to my students.
Thanks in advance for your help.

4 Nov 2010      

dawnmain
United Kingdom

The time doesn �t say �last month � it says �in the last month � which means in the period from 4 weeks ago until now -  which is why it has to be present perfect.  hope that helps.

4 Nov 2010     

magneto
Greece

Definitely c. "has had" because of "in the last month", as dawnmain has correctly pointed out (a period of time that lasts up to the present) and "must not be" for a logical assumption.

4 Nov 2010     

Zsuzsapszi
Hungary

If you look at the second sentence, it is a deduction. Then you have to use �can �t � here. And only answer A has this option.
But I must agree with that for the first sentence the solution isn �t the best choice. There dawnmain �s explanations seems to be good.
Can �t it be possible the exercise is wrong?

4 Nov 2010     

Zsuzsapszi
Hungary

As I know must not means it is not allowed.

You can say.
I met Mr Smith in the shop. He can �t be at home.
He hasn �t eaten anything today. He must be hungry.

Or I don �t know it exactly?

4 Nov 2010     

azuree
Turkey

Dawnmain and magneto thank you very much for your explanations.. It is very clear to me now.
Zsuzsapszi, I don �t think the exercise is wrong. I know that  "must not" can also be used for deductions while "mustn �t" is used for prohibition. If I am wrong, please let me know...

4 Nov 2010     

zailda
Brazil

I �ve learned that we use must (affirmative) for deductions or obligations (mainly general or moral ones) and in the negative we use must not for prohibition and can �t for deductions:

We must respect the elderly. (obligation)
You must not eat anything in class. (prohibition)

Silvia is rushing to work. She must be late. (deduction)
Silvia �s boyfriend �s blond and that guy with her is dark-haired. He can �t be her boyfriend. (deduction)

4 Nov 2010     

Zsuzsapszi
Hungary

I agree with zailda. I have seen my grammar books and some online grammar links too. They don �t mention about it must not can be used to express logical deduction.

4 Nov 2010     

nivida
Turkey

We always use present perfect tense with these time expressions( in the last two months- in the last three years- in the last four hours- in the last two weeks- for the last two weeks -for the last three years- for the last four months- over the last three months -over the last five weeks etc.)

4 Nov 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

When I look at the  answers for "c" I would agree with the first part "has had" but the second part looks wrong to me.  " She must not be a good driver then"  sounds grammatically wrong to me.  Could it be a mistake? 

4 Nov 2010     

azuree
Turkey

Actually, this exercise is from a source I really trust. So, I hadn �t thought that it could be wrong. But after I read the comments, I wanted to be sure and checked the rules.
It says in the same source that, mustn �t is used only for prohibition.
While expressing degrees of certainty there are various ways;

for positive statements,
Why is peter at home today?
-He is ill. (100% sure)
-He must be ill.( 95% sure)
-He may/might/could be ill.(50% sure)

for negative statements,
-He isn �t in his room. (100% sure)
-He can �t/ couldn �t be in his room. (99%sure)
-He must not be in his room. ( 95% sure)
-He may not/might not be in his room. (50% sure)

The book also adds that while expressing certainty must not is used only in American English.
In British English can �t/couldn �t is used instead of must not.

4 Nov 2010     

1    2    Next >