Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the day    

Word of the day

franknbea
United Kingdom

Word of the day

Sunk without a trace!
What �s happened to word of the day?
Like the Titanic it seems to have sunk without a trace.
Shall we leave in the icy depths
or shall I start a new thread and resurect it ?
The decision iss yours fellow marine explorers.............

5 Nov 2010      

blunderbuster
Germany

Maybe too much of a good thing?

5 Nov 2010     

Mabdel
Morocco

Personally, I did benefit a lot from it and I like it  though I rarely got involved.. I was just about to open a thread about it.  And I hope   see it  again in the forum sooner.

Thanks a lot dear Frank .

5 Nov 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

Frank, as I mentioned to you before...
I really liked it the way it was played when you still ran the game. No competition and no endless reposting. I noticed that since it became a competition it became much more limited in scope, both in content and in diversity of people participating. Sometimes there were 3 posts for it on the forum at the same time. When you still ran it it was posted once. if I missed it I knew I could look for "word of the day �  of simply a post by Franknbea and I would find it.. I often did since I really loved it! I didn �t care much for the competition version, same people forcefully trying to be funny...I also felt it didn �t �fit � the spirit of the site, why make it into a competition and make people think twice to try?
Sooo, If you are willing to come back and run the game again I would love it!!! It was educational, enriching and fun.

5 Nov 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Franknbea,

I would like you to restart �Word of the Day �.

Members have written to me, commenting on its benefits, (although not everyone will agree with their opinions).

* It is a GAME to promote interest in language, (similar to games for our students).
* It is an activity in which Members can PARTICIPATE or not, as they wish.
* It causes us to THINK about a word.
* It increases our VOCABULARY and knowledge.
* It encourages CO-OPERATION between Members.
* It teaches about HUMOUR, an essential aspect of human communication.
* It permits  �nervous � Members to make a CONTRIBUTION, without fear of ridicule.
* It bestows the HONOUR of recognition upon a person, a far-off homeland, and its language.
* It encourages FRIENDSHIP.
* It is FUN.

Les

5 Nov 2010     

Mariethe House
France

YES !! It must be restarted!
For the last WOD, cauffepot seemed to have given a definition that everyone( most) thought very funny so I suggest he/she start it again by giving a word.
Marion, it �s not so much the competition which is a problem but the posting and reposting which floods the forum. So maybe when it disappears from the forum , let it be ... People who want to play will just go to the recent topics and play. As for the winner He /she could be notified through pm + a quick post on the forum!

5 Nov 2010     

Catalina Sorina
Romania

Let �s start it again, Frank, but maybe you should "host" the game. There were instances when the winner of one day would remain silent the next day as probably he or she didn �t log in again in time to give a new word.
And maybe no competition, just the fun of playing... ?!

5 Nov 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

There never was a �competition � and �winner � was just a convenient term for �whose turn next? �. It was simply a way of taking the burden of coming up with a new word every day from one person �s shoulders.

Mariethe, I think you �re referring to this. Cauffee �s word is/was abigail.

5 Nov 2010     

agagug
Canada

I really liked it, and yes... I was honored to win it once. I felt very good to be informally recognized for my wit in English by an international community of English teachers, for English is my second language. I do not take it as a competition. I take it a as a very funny game which helps me measure myself against very interesting people.

Please bring it back...

Agagug

6 Nov 2010