Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help!    

help!

grimsim
France

help!

Hello, 
Do you know what this idiom means:
get out of your Ivory Coast?

6 Nov 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

I �ve heard of the ivory tower idiom, but not the one you mention...

6 Nov 2010     

Aurore
France

Are you sure you don �t mean" get out of your Ivory tower"? This means that a person should stop being so concerned with the intellectual side of life, usually a person who is unsociable or withdrawn. "get out of your Ivory tower" means to become more practical, sociable, to get out and have some fun.  Not sure that helps.

6 Nov 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

I would have thought the idiom was "get down from your ivory tower". Ivory tower is associated with universities... most used to have a tower as a symbol of higher learning. So basically it means stop being so snooty or high-brow and get real, become like the rest of us!

7 Nov 2010     

Jayho
Australia

The Ivory Coast is an African country where there is currently a high risk of crime and personal security to travellers.  So yes, you may want to physically get out of the Ivory Coast. 

But I �m with the others, I think you might mean the idiom concerning the ivory tower. I can �t say that it is commonly used - I rarely hear it used.

7 Nov 2010