Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Discipline Suggestions    

Discipline Suggestions

jumpoutofthebuilding
China

Discipline Suggestions

Hi everyone. I need your help. I have a class of kindergartens.There are 10 students in my class.majority of them are four or five but there are two three years old. the three year old are quite behave but the others are hard to control and motivate.could you give me some advice /techniques on how to manage/discipline them.thank you so much for your help.

8 Nov 2010      

manonski (f)
Canada

I give them prizes or send positive memos to their parents. I point out the positive instead of the negative. I keep my activities short because the attention span is short. It �s better to do 3 short ones than one long activity.

8 Nov 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Little ones need hands on short activities 10-15 minutes. Crafts and such can be done but don �t expect masterpieces by any means. Remember their skills are limited but should be exposed to cutting and pasting and coloring to work on those fine motor skills. Jumping and dancing (which could be the same at this age) should be encouraged as well to develop gross motor skills. As for disciplining, if you keep them active and working the discipline should be kept to a minimum. If all fails.. tasers. ;-)

8 Nov 2010     

nombasa
South Africa

Hi
Remember the rule of thumb for concentration in children is their age + or - the number two.  When you are working with very young children this gives you comfort that it is not your teaching skills at fault!
Try to involve the children as much as possible so that they are active learners rather than passive ones.  Read stories with a lot of repetition and encourage them to join in with the repeated lines - The Hairy McLarey books are good for that as are many children �s picture books.
Also involve them in role play.  Set up a toy cafe, shop etc.  There is probably already such a thing in the school.  If you join in in the role play children can be kept focessed and a lot of learning about situations and vocabulary can be achieved.
Songs with actions are also good.  They can involve all children and develop an awareness of language and develop their vocab.
With young children praise must be instant or else they will often forget what they are being praised for and so it doesn �t really affect a change in their behaviour.
If the children think that you are going to join in with their play and not just supervise, then they will be engaged for longer and will not even realise how well they are behaving and how much they are learning.
Each time you play try to target a different set of vocabulary.  Parents will soon be aware of the new vocabulary and will stop expecting more formal written work to take place.
All learning is cloaked with emotion, so you want to set up learning as an enjoyable experience, so discipline as far as possible should be positive so as to encourage a positive attitude to learning.
If you have fun - so will they.

8 Nov 2010     

alvinaash
United States

Looking for leads at a lower cost? You �ve come to the right place. Contact our agency about our PPC services, and ask for a complimentary consultation! 

27 Jun 2018