Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Will with be    

Will with be

Halildurak
Turkey

Will with be

I came across this explanation :
In comparing will /going to
When the main verb is be we can use simple future tense even if we have a firm plan or decision

As in the sample  ,I will be in London tomorrow. Is "I am going to be in London" possible?If so which one should we prefer?

thanks indeed

9 Nov 2010      

[email protected]
United Kingdom

�I �ll be in London tomorrow � is spoken as a fact.

�Can we go to theatre tomorrow? �
�Sorry - I �ll be in London �.

�I �m going to be... � is a plan (but also a fact):

�I �m going to be in London tomorrow, so I can �t attend the meeting �.

Some might argue there �s a small difference in meaning, but practically the two are interchangeable.

Alex

9 Nov 2010     

yanogator
United States

Alex is right. I feel a tiny difference between the two that only a native speaker would ever think about. It would be nearly impossible to teach the difference, and definitely not necessary. In his "Sorry - I �ll be in London" example, I wouldn �t say "Sorry - I �m going to be in London", but both answers are correct.

Bruce

9 Nov 2010     

casmo
Peru

WILL/WON �T, is used for decisions made at the time of speaking.
GOING TO, is used for plans and intentions (decisions made before the time of speaking).
But both WILL and GOING TO can be used for predictions.   Wink

9 Nov 2010     

Halildurak
Turkey

Thank you dear collegues ...

9 Nov 2010     

Turkey

in everyday english "will" is the most common one. they don �t think whether it is a plan, a certain decision or a sudden decision. but we are teachers and we have to teach the most correct one- if your lesson is not about everyday english. 

there is no rule that verb be is used with will. i am going to be in Ankara: i am planning to be in Ankara

9 Nov 2010     

Turkey

by the way if you don �t have evidence we can �t use "going to" for predictions! will and going to is not interchangeable. they are really different at all. 

it is not impossible to teach it, it is so easy to teach the difference between will and going to that you can find billions of examples. 

the weather is cloudy, it is going to rain. i have nothing for sunday, i am going to go to the cinema.

it is hot, i will open the window. in future, you will be married with an ugly woman.

you can get help from a newspapers� horoscope page for will. and the weather working days or weather report page for going to.

9 Nov 2010