Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > PRESENT PERFECT in DAILY ROUTINE ??? CAN WE USE IT? PLEASE HELP!    

PRESENT PERFECT in DAILY ROUTINE ??? CAN WE USE IT? PLEASE HELP!

Tatyana83
Armenia

PRESENT PERFECT in DAILY ROUTINE ??? CAN WE USE IT? PLEASE HELP!

Dear Teachers ! Please Help!
 I �m really interested in your opinion  :

Can we use PRESENT PERFECT in the meaning of daily routine:

Every day I have cooked the dinner by 3 o �clock.

(= Every day The dinner has been cooked by 3 o �clock)

Ermm

10 Nov 2010      

magneto
Greece

Hi!

I don �t think I �ve ever seen the Present Perfect used this way. It would sound more natural to me to say something like "Every day, I finish cooking dinner by 3 o � clock."

I �ve also found this page interesting. It might be of help.

10 Nov 2010     

Tatyana83
Armenia

THANK YOU SO MUCH
 SO I SOULD SAY

EVERY DAY I                             FINISH BY                      and
                                   START AT
CAN I SAY                                    FINISH AT?????????
 I really appreciate your help!

10 Nov 2010     

magneto
Greece

finish by 3 o � clock means you may also finish earlier than 3 o � clock/ 3 o � clock is the latest, while finish at 3 o � clock means you finish at 3 o � clock sharp. (check out these links: by - use nr. 5, at - use nr. 3)

10 Nov 2010     

Tatyana83
Armenia

HugThanks a million!

10 Nov 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Tatyana83,

"Every day, I have cooked the dinner by three o �clock".

I have no problem, here in the UK, grammatically, with this sentence, but it is not what I would normally say.

It sounds as if you are listing the activities for the day.  You �tick off � each activity at the end of the appoined time.
"Every day, I have made the beds by eight o �clock; I have sent the children to school by nine oclock; I have visited my Mum by one o �clock; and I have cooked the dinner by three o �clock.  That �s my time-table for the day".  (You are thinking of the time at the end of each activity.)

Is this what you intend?

As a normal statement of fact, I would say, "Yesterday, I cooked the dinner at three o �clock". (End of story).  It is usual to give a time with the Past Simple Tense (as here), but not with the Present Perfect Tense.  The Past Simple remains in the PAST, (that �s why it uses a time), but the Present Perfect has an element of the PRESENT to it, because it ends in the present.

Remember that, when we use the Present Perfect, it tells us about the Past and it also tells something about the Present.
"I have broken the cup (in the Past) and the pieces are on the floor" (In the Present).
"Teacher, I have finished my homework, (Past) here you are!" (putting it into the Teacher �s hand, Present).
"I have swum two kilometres, (Past) and now I am tired" (Present).  We don �t necessarily conclude the sentence with these final words, but we do THINK them.  

We think PAST, but we also think PRESENT.

Your first sentence says: "Every day, I have cooked the dinner by three o �clock".
In my head, I tend to ask myself: "What is so special about three o �clock?"

You appear to be saying to me: "Every day, I have cooked the dinner by three o �clock.  I make sure that I am finished by three o �cclock, because that �s my time-table.  What time is it now?  Three o �clock!  Good!  I �m on time again!"  

Your question is:
Can we use the PRESENT PERFECT in the meaning of daily routine?

My reply is: "Not normally.  We use the Present Simple Tense".

"Every day, I make the beds at eight o �clock; I send the children to school at nine oclock; I visit my Mum at one o �clock; and I  cook the dinner at three o �clock.

At four o�clock we finish dinner.  At half-past-four I start to clean the house.  Between half-past-four and five, approximately, I do all the work.

By five o�clock, (at the very latest),   I have finished all of my housework.

That �s my time-table for the day".

I hope that I have helped you.

Les

10 Nov 2010     

Greek Professor
Greece

Wow...Les...Love the way you explain things....

Why don �t you make worksheets with explainations like the one you just wrote...

I have to agree with Les...

10 Nov 2010     

thesjuerg
Philippines

Hello Tatyana!

With regards to your question about using present perfect in this statement.

"Every day, I have cooked the dinner by three o �clock".

It �s quite obvious in your statement that you have been using "everyday with specific time

given (3 0 �clock). It is a habitual or repeated action... The appropriate tense of the verb to

be used is "Simple Present Tense".

So, the statement will goes like this..." Every day, I cook dinner at three o � clock."

The Present Perfect is used to indicate a link between the present and the past. The time of

the action is before now but not specified, and we are often more interested in the result

than in the action itself. But since you have given the specific time you must use "Simple

Present Tense of the Verb".

Thessa----

10 Nov 2010