Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WORD OF THE DAY!    

WORD OF THE DAY!

isabelle99
Monaco

WORD OF THE DAY!

Waouh!!!!!!!!!!! Gabitza liked my definition (very flAttered, thAnks:)) so I �m in chArge of the word of the dAy todAy. It �s funny how simple stupid things cAn brighten up your dAy!!!
SOOOOOOOO the word of the dAy is:

CONUNDRUM

Let your imAginAtion work!!!!!!!!

10 Nov 2010      

magneto
Greece

French: con = idiot
German: und = and
English: rum
...So, conundrum is the disastrous combination of stupidity and (a lot of) rum that makes people try  to communicate in three different languages (French - German - English) at the same time...And we all know what this type of communication can lead to....

10 Nov 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

co- smth done cooperatively
nun- for nun
drum - for drum
a nuns � percussion band?
Sophia

10 Nov 2010     

roneydirt
United States

I like both of those....  can we have the letters overlap...  like con and nun?
a con is a criminial
nun is of course we all know
drum I like to play... but prefer the bongos...  Tongue
so we have a criminial in an nun outfit playing drums...   hey sounds like my old neighborhood minus the gun shots...

10 Nov 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Isabelle,

Today �s "Word of the Day", CONUNDRUM, requires a history lesson to explain it.

At first, I thought that I thought that it was Conan Drum, the brother of the author, Conan Doyle.  But I was wrong!
Then, by word-association, I thought of the brother-in-law of Sherlock Holmes, Old-Person �s Homes.  Again, wrong!

One has to be very careful with personal names.  I remember searching in the library for the musical work, "Carmina Burana", by Carl Orff.  I must confess my ignorance that, until the male assistant enlightened me, I did not know that Carl Orff had a brother, Nick.
However, when I pointed  to a musical score entitled "Bach �s Organ Works", his only remark was:  "Well, his wife should be pleased about that!"

You can understand why Diana Dors refused to marry an Irishman, because she didn �t want to be associated with anyone called Paddy O �Doors.

And why Whoopi Goldberg refused to marry Peter Cushing, because she would become Whoopi Cushion.

There was the Irish sergeant in the Army, in charge of Rifle Practice, Richard O �Shay.  Everyone called him Rick O �Shay.

But, in the case of CONUNDRUM it is quite straightforward.  It refers, of course, to Conan the Barbarian, the Demon Hairdresser of Fleet Street, (where the British ships anchor in London).

A Conan Drum is one of those drums that you hear at a football match, which goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on (for 16 pages!).

A CONAN DRUM = boring monotony of the worst kind.

Les Douglas (LD the Magic Man).

10 Nov 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

That is pretty good Les..but sadly you are mistaken... a conundrum is a drum alright but it has nothing to do with Conan the Librarian or his Cousin Conan the Barbarian. Conus or conu for short stands for Continous United States meaning the  48 connected states. The drum part is the drum which is sounded as an alarm to keep those pesky aliens from crossing our borders and taking over our jobs. Of course everyone knows that I �m talking about the Canadians. Jim Carey. Pamela Anderson, Keanu Reeves, Celine Dion, Avril Lavigne and Justin Beiber to name a few. Those darn canundrums are not loud enough. Friends I �m not editorializing..this is just fun. Hope no one is offended. ;-)  Ed

10 Nov 2010     

baiba
Latvia

You guys have a great sense of humour! 

10 Nov 2010     

Ide_Bere
Mexico

Ed, I guess you �re a good singer and actor... Confused(just for Jim and Justin... by the way... my 3 year old baby girl absolutely loves him....) lol!!! Wink

My guess is the following:

Con: someone who cheats on people

Un: the opposite of the following word...

Drum: drum...

So, if the opposite of drum is... mmmm.... not good musician btw.... flute!!!

So, Conundrum is a person who cheats on people and plays the flute... hopefully better than I do, else that �d be really embarrassing!!!!

Bere

10 Nov 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Sorry to say but funny as they are they are all the wrong answers. How do I know?
I have the right answer of course.....

Conun= misspelling of Conan The Barbarian
drum= musical intrument of the percussive variety

Conandrum= what the governor of California uses to call order in the audience chamber

10 Nov 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Conundrum was originally a con artist, named Sylvester who connived his way into a nun �s convent.  They took him in because they had pity on the poor soul.  As Conundrum was bald he had no fear of Conan the Barbarian of Fleet Street.  His real fear was de rum.  The nun �s tried to convince Conundrum that de rum was not good for him and he should take up de drums. 
As de drums occupied Conundrum �s mind de rum was soon forgotten.  Conundrum soon became known as the land �s best drummer and inspired the word � �Conundrum � � which means forget de rum and play de drums.

10 Nov 2010     

lockman
Morocco

Hi
Let me explain that right cause it seems you don t know the meaning
CONUNDRUM

CO:COOPORATION
NUn: Non-United Nations
DR:drastic
UM:Unbelievable Measures

It is an organisation which aim is to counter balance the UN decisions

10 Nov 2010