Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > active or passive?    

active or passive?

mylena87
Brazil

active or passive?

Well... I�ve got a big problem!!! I�m really confused!!

which one is correct: I broke my leg or i had my leg broken?

I remember that sb told me that when it�s active means that i broke my leg propositally, so the correct would b i had my leg broken (not intentionally).

Which one would be correct? both?? Not talking about the tense (o know the difference between passive n active) but the meaning ok??

Thanks in advance

5 Dec 2008      

graace
Venezuela

I broke my leg is the correct one. Im not sure why- can someone explain?

5 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I had my leg broken.  This would imply you did it to yourself on purpose.  We use this type of phrase for when we did something to ourselves or an object with intent.
For Example:
 �I had my hair done on Saturday.�
or
�I had my car serviced yesterday�
or
�I had Ralph�s leg broken on Saturday as he hadn�t paid his gambling debt�

I broke my leg on saturday - just means that on saturday you accidently broke your leg. 

Why???  I have no idea - I can just give you the meaning from a native point of view. 

(hehehe - use of the word native still cracks me up - that would be quite offensive in some circumstances!  I really have to get out of the habit of using it before going home!)

5 Dec 2008     

gaby_mn
United States

Hi. I think I can answer the question: In this sentence ( I had my leg broken) it means something or someone broke your leg on purpose. You could use passive voice if the person who does the action (broke the leg) is obvious, or unknown. For example, you could say.. Yesterday I got in a fight with some gang members and I had my leg broken ( its obvious who did it).Otherwise, a doer is expected. (I had my leg broken by......) and since almost no one breaks another person�s leg on purpose, letter a) I broke my leg is the correct option.

5 Dec 2008     

mylena87
Brazil

Thanks everybody for the explanations!!!!

5 Dec 2008     

alex1968
Greece

Hi Mylena!

I had my leg broken  is causative and can be used in this instance for something bad that happened to you against your will.

E.g.   I had my car stolen means that someone stole your car without your wanting this to happen.

So,   I had my leg broken  (causative)
        My leg was broken     (passive voice)
        I broke my leg            (active voice)        are all correct!

At least in British English they are!!!

Regards from Greece,

Alex

5 Dec 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi , alex1968
Greece

Sorry, but I am quite skeptical about your explanation: "I had my leg broken  is causative and can be used in this instance for something bad that happened to you against your will."
According to me, using the expressions "have sb do sth..." and "have sth done..." infers that you cused sth to happen or you incited sb to do it for you. That is to say it expresses sth intensional.

Hope it does not add to the confusion.

5 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

Well, it could technically be a "causative" if he wanted his leg broken for some reason!! Confused  Not a logical thing though, so I�d have to agree with goodnesses here...

5 Dec 2008     

kaz76
United Kingdom

Both of the options are correct but it depends on the meaning you want to convey. 

I broke my leg means that it happened accidentally.  However, I had my leg broken means an intentional breakage by someone else.   The intentional breakage could have been done by doctors at hospital because they needed to reset it for some reason or perhaps if you had been attacked by someone. 

5 Dec 2008     

Ayaniw
Algeria

I broke my leg or i had my leg broken?
Both of them are correct depending on what you want to say.
The first one ==> This happened to you accidentally.
The second one (The causative form of have) ==> you mean that you asked / employed / paid ... someone to break your leg for one reason or another (be it weird!) (The action was done intentionally)
Cheers!

5 Dec 2008     

memthefirst
Turkey

Both are correct
I broke my leg  (you broke it)
i had my leg broken? (somebody broke your leg)

8 Dec 2008     

1    2    Next >