Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > ..is it silently ???    

..is it silently ???

Baadache
Canada

..is it silently ???

I need some help..please

In front of a jury, I �ll present a reading comprehension lesson. I chose a short text. But the question is that: do students have to read the text loudly or silently?

I personnally used to ask my pupils to have a silent reading.

If you were in the jury �s shoes, what would you focus on ?

Thank you in advance

Siham

12 Nov 2010      

ellakass
Israel

Sometimes it depends on the pupils � age. In our schools the inspectors demand that we ask pupils to read loudly but with the task: find and read the answer to the question...where is it written about?...who said that...in what paragraph(or line) you can find the info about...  something like that. Good luck!

12 Nov 2010     

bienke
Belgium

It depends on what kind of text it is. If I have the pupils read an article (magazine, newspaper), I never let them read it out loud (because it �s not authentic then, nobody reads it out loud in real life). If it �s a short dialogue,they can read it out loud. Sometimes there are words they don �t know, so they won �t be able to pronounce them correctly. That �s why I �ve always learned never to let pupils read new texts out loud. 

12 Nov 2010     

Zora
Canada

If I were "one of the jury", I would give the student a moment or two to read it over before asking them to read the passage out loud. Even native speakers like to have a moment or two to know what they are going to be reading before they have to read it out to somebody.Seems like the fairest option to me.

12 Nov 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

in France, we say that to read aloud a text you need to have understood it... so if you want to ask your pupils to read aloud the text, it should come after they worked on the text and made sure they understood it...
have a nice evening

12 Nov 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

Baadache, I don �t know your situation. I �m going to "nitpick" a little. As ELOJOLIE274 alludes, you probably want to use the adverb "aloud" or "out loud" instead of "loudly." "Loudly" means with a lot of noise or high volume. I �m just guessing, but I �d bet that you don �t want the students to SHOUT when they read.

English is just crazy like that...

12 Nov 2010