Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What does this sentence express?    

What does this sentence express?

Nizarsouth
Tunisia

What does this sentence express?

Hi colleagues! in the text book of my students I have this question: What does this sentence express? 
"I do sometimes wonder what it would be like if she were like me And we could go clubbing together"
as far as I know it �s a conditional sentence type two: if+simple past=would + infinitive.
My students might ask me why " she were" and not "she was".
I �m thinking of saying to them that it �s an unreal present to express an event that didn �t happen. Is it Satisfactory explanation? Is there any other explanation or answer?             Thanks a lot for your help.

12 Nov 2010      

aliciapc
Uruguay

I just tell teach them that with "if" and "I wish" or "if only", in those three cases we use "were" with all the personal pronouns. Just that.

12 Nov 2010     

Mukkik
France

Using "she were" instead of "was" shows that it is really impossible, we insist on the fact that it is hypothetical.

12 Nov 2010     

libertybelle
United States

It is a subjunctive verb. There are not many left - but it has to do with verbs having moods!
a kinds of conditional wishful thinking:

You can read more about subjunctive verbs below:

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/subjunctive-verbs-was-i-were.aspx

another site says the following:
Subjunctives.

Anyone who �s studied a foreign language will be glad that English has almost entirely lost the subjunctives it once had. And because English has so few inflections, it �s often hard to spot many subjunctives. Grammarians have a hard time defining subjunctive; don �t worry if you don �t follow.

Unlike the indicative mood, which indicates that something is true, the subjunctive expresses a wish, a command, or a condition contrary to fact. Archaic English is full of subjunctives, as in "Would that it were" and "Thou shalt not."

The English subjunctive still shows up in a few places, of which the condition contrary to fact is most common:

• Conditions contrary to fact: "If I were a rich man." (I teach English; Lord knows I ain �t rich.) We use were instead of the expected is, am, or are: "If this were any heavier [but it �s not � a condition contrary to fact], I couldn �t lift it"; "If she were to say that [but she �s not], I �d leave."
  • Suppositions: "If I were to tell you, I �d have to kill you"; "Be that as it may."
  • Wishes: "I wish I had an Illudium PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator"; "I wish she were six inches taller."
  • Demands and suggestions: "I insisted that he leave"; "I suggested he leave."
  • Necessity or importance: "It �s essential that he arrive on time."

12 Nov 2010     

mourad1O
Morocco

Hi,
Actually your question has one exact answer: It is conditional type II= expressing wishes in the present. It expresses unreal fact in the present using the past form of the verbs. The past is used to show that she can never be me. It is just supposition. Both "were or "was" are used without any difference in meaning.

You can �t say it talks about something that didn �t happen (but that can �t be true: or  imaginary)). Be careful, the sentence (meaning) is in the present though the form is in the past.

Good luck

12 Nov 2010     

Nizarsouth
Tunisia

Thank you so much. My colleague mourad your answer is perfect, just I want to say that there �s a slight difference between was and were. You may have a look at the link of our colleague libertybelle http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/subjunctive-verbs-was-i-were.aspx.
Thanks again for your help.

13 Nov 2010