Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > watch or see    

watch or see

mia001
Germany

watch or see

Hi

can you say to see a film?

I thought it was only to watch a film.

Thanks for your replies.

Mia

12 Nov 2010      

MoodyMoody
United States

In the USA at least, it is perfectly okay to say "see a movie," or TV show, or basketball game, or whatever. In fact, it �s more common to use see than watch in the past, present perfect, or future tenses. For example, "have you seen Unstoppable yet?" is more common than "have you watched Unstoppable yet?" However, in the present continuous, we are more likely to say "I �m watching Avatar" than "I �m seeing Avatar."

Hope this helps! Thanks for asking!

12 Nov 2010     

isa2
Austria

It is correct to say "I �ve seen this film" to refer to a state/ the fact/ a past event.
But you would preferably say "I want to watch this film" because then you refer to a decision that you will take/ have taken.

Hope this helps. Best regards.

12 Nov 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

I respectfully disagree, isa2, at least for American English. We Americans are probably more likely to say, "I want to see this film," than "I want to watch this film," when referring to future possibilities. Now we would say, "I want to watch this film without you kids making so much noise," when actually watching the film in the present. I would certainly have no problem with you saying, "I want to watch High School Musical next week," at least for proper usage. (I might wonder about your taste in movies, though. LOL)

12 Nov 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Moody is right - I often say- let �s see a film.
But I don �t say - he is seeing a film - I say he �s watching a film.

12 Nov 2010     

Turkey

in spoken eng. both are OK. in formal, watching a movie is an activity. "see a movie" is experience

13 Nov 2010     

mia001
Germany

Thanks a lot.

So I could say: She is going to see a film next week.

13 Nov 2010