Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > New Word of the Day    

New Word of the Day

MoodyMoody
United States

New Word of the Day

Thanks, Galitza! My "daffynition" of mammothrept was a bit more mature than the standard "spoiled child," but they do share some characteristics.

So, I get to pick the next word. I choose "vimineous."

As per the standard rules, DO NOT give the standard definition, even if you know what it is. Don �t spoil it for everyone else. Since I �m on EST, I �ll pick the winner at approximately 7:00 p.m. my time (12:00 midnight GMT) tomorrow. Good luck all!

13 Nov 2010      

almaz
United Kingdom

You �ve probably noticed how an awful lot of Francis Bacon �s paintings involve big screaming mouths? Well, a lesser-known fact is that the artist rarely used toothpaste and instead used a British household cleaner/scourer called Vim, the ingestion of which is not conducive to a big happy smile, I can tell you.

Since much of his work reflected his own experiences and sensations, many of Bacon �s tortured portraits are, as a result, known as his Vimineous Collection, hence the current meaning of �vimineous �: relating to art as masochistic expression.

13 Nov 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

Almaz,

13 Nov 2010     

cauffeepot
Benin

vimineous is when you �ve had too much wine and you can �t pronounce venemous. Vemonous? Vevoninimous? Having to do with venom, like a snake. Gee, I better go get into the wine.

14 Nov 2010     

gabitza
Romania

Synonym for �dangerous � - a very dangerous condition husbands are unable to avoid at a certain point in their marriage:

VIMINEOUS = Vigourous Interlude during Menopause with Intelligent but Neurotic, Emotional, Overreacting and Unstable Spouse

14 Nov 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Gabitza,

Those were PRECISELY my symptoms in the Menopause, and I think that women go through the same problems during the Womenopause!

Les 

14 Nov 2010