Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Which one is correct?    

Which one is correct?

subzeroking
Iran

Which one is correct?

I really need your help. Thanks in advance!

look at this sentence:

One of the.................. in which we can help the recycling process is by saving our own waste.

a) methods
b) ways
c) things
d) means

-----
I would choose (b) as the correct answer since it �s the most common one, but I �m sure I �ve seen (a) and (d) been used in this structure (One of the ........... in which we can).
Is there any grammatical rule that would apply here? like say �one of the means by which we can?
It �d be great to hear your ideas.

14 Nov 2010      

libertybelle
United States

To be honest - you can use all of them - in my humble opinion.

14 Nov 2010     

lshorton99
China

b) would be the most natural answer. Methods more commonly collocates with �by � and means more commonly collocates with �of � or �by � (this is not a rule, just a very broad generalisation). Things does not fit here at all.

I don �t know of any rule which would help - mostly English works more by collocation and collocation happens because people say something a particular way which then becomes the norm!

Lindsey

14 Nov 2010