Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help correcting thesis summary    

Help correcting thesis summary

magneto
Greece

Help correcting thesis summary

Hello, dear colleagues!
I �m about to take advantage of your kindness here and ask you for some help. A friend of mine has asked me to check the translation of the summary of her thesis for her.  I �ve corrected some obvious mistakes I �ve found, but I think I �m starting to forget how to express ideas in an academic style and I figured I �d post it here and ask for your suggestions. It �s a rather large text, so please forgive me for taking up so much forum spaceEmbarrassed...So, here it goes:

The dissertation consists of two parts, a theoretical and a research one.

In the first part of the thesis, which is developed in four chapters, the concepts of the integration of knowledge and the cross-thematic approach are theoretically defined. The first chapter refers to the theory of integration, which uses various terms and definitions that define this theory in several ways, thus forming different kinds of approaches and integrated and integrative curricula. The second chapter analyses the role of modern school, which operates under the rationale and principles of the cross-thematic approach.  In addition, the context within which the pedagogical relationship is created and operates is discussed and analysed. The third chapter relates the renewed role of the educator through the cross-thematic approach and through its operation within modern Kindergarten. The fourth chapter deals with the specific and general characteristics of the Cross-Thematic Unified Framework Curriculum, which has been used as the basis for the development of thematic units during the teaching intervention phase.

The second part of the dissertation is developed in three parts (research � results � conclusions). The main purpose of this research is a) to investigate the effect of a cross-thematic curriculum (integrative curriculum) on pre-school children (4 � 6 years old) and b) to investigate the views of Kindergarten teachers on the cross-thematic approach and the impact of those views on their daily teaching practices. The experimental method was applied, wherein three research tools were used: systematic, non-participating observation, teaching intervention and semi-structured interviews.

The conclusion of the study showed that most of the Kindergarten teachers taken as a sample rely on the similarities between the Compilation Single Teaching (C.S.T.) and the Cross-Thematic Unified Framework Curriculum (CUFC), therefore applying or intending to apply the CUFC the same way as the CST is applied, mainly based on their experience. Furthermore, the analysis of the results of the interviews demonstrates that daily practice is the factor which primarily affects the formation and exercising of the teaching role, rather than the curriculum. Regarding teaching intervention, through the creation of an organised learning environment, children were actively involved in the formation of teaching by expressing questions and ideas, taking the initiative, formulating questions organised into activities, cooperating, communicating and creatively interacting with the environment around them, thus creating a motivational climate within the classroom.

Thank you in advance for any observations/ suggestions/ criticismSmile

Hug,
magneto

15 Nov 2010      

Apodo
Australia

Suggestions:

The second chapter analyses the role of the modern school, which operates under the rationale and principles of the cross-thematic approach. 

operation within the/ a modern Kindergarten  or modern kindergartens.

The second part of the dissertation has been developed in three parts

The conclusion of the study shows

15 Nov 2010     

kodora
Greece

Maybe cross curricular approach instead of cross thematic
and motivating  atmosphere instead of motivational climate
Also ΔΕΠΠΣ could be Integrated Cross Curriculum Framework
Have a nice week
Dora

Edit:investigate the impact/effect of the application/implementation of an integrated curriculum / a cross curricular based teaching on pre-schoolers

15 Nov 2010     

magneto
Greece

Thank you both for your replies!

Kodora, I had cross-curricular in mind myself, but I thought it would sound odd to say Cross-Curricular Unified Framework Curriculum,but I do like the way you �ve suggested translating ΔΕΠΠΣ.

Thank you both very muchSmile

Hug,
magneto

15 Nov 2010